I had found a Datsun original air cleaner base and THOUGHT it would match my carbs, wrong!! I wanted the factory velocity stacks and mounting bases off of it, it turns out after all this work the holes didn't line up, I fixed that, but more on that in a few minutes, I have no idea what they made this air cleaner out of, but it's just sheet metal right? again wrong, I don't know if they hardened it, or it's still radioactive from WW2, but I'm having a horrible time cutting the stuff, it cuts strange, machines strange, and welds strange, It might be 409 stainless, it looks like regular steel. whatever it is, it's some tough stuff,
this is what I started with,
and then removed the parts I wanted
after a lot of cutting, and grinding, sanding, cussing, etc, I ended up with two of these, since the holes don't line up, I'll turn then 90 degrees on the base plates, before welding them on, then they will get the mounting holes, and piston air passage holes drilled.
and I end up with one of these, there are a lot more then a single weld, I just had to add one after it was blasted
these were the original velocity stacks I had made
this is how I formed the screen
I'll be going into this in much more detail, I still have one more of these bastards to make. I will take a lot more pictures of all the steps during the next one