Thread: 1987 Honda Accord DX leaking coolant through back of baseplate

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord Sedan

1987 Honda Accord DX leaking coolant through back of baseplate

Hi!

Recently did a weber 32/36 on my 87 DX. Everything was fine and smooth, not leaks (except for my normal coolant leaks) until I started having vaccuum issues and noticed that my entire carb setup had come loose, I took the top half of the carb off (carb+adapter plate) and retightened everything but the bottom baseplate. Put it all back together and put some gasket sealer on the old gasket and tightened it all. Worked fine for a week until I started to notice I was leaking coolant progressively worse and worse until it was literally massive puddles of coolant. Found out that im leaking coolant from a hose (I think the cap came off) and from the back of the carb. Im assuming that my gaskets just went bad? My car is undrivable now as it overheats and it diesels. I plugged the hole on the intake manifold with the gasket sealer when I put everything together. Am I right? Or is something worse going on here? My car still starts and runs fine.

See photo attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E0397[1].jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	11298  

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord Sedan

Re: 1987 Honda Accord DX leaking coolant through back of baseplate

Well, figured it out on my own. Ended up capping off the line circled below and used a screw and JB Weld to seal the coolant port on the manifold fixed the issue. I also used orange locktite on all the bolts and the studs so they can't rattle loose anymore. To be double sure that it stays sealed, I put some extra gasket sealer around the coolant port that I covered up. I've driven it for about a week and have put maybe 30-40 miles on it and its held up amazing, not a drop. It seems to be I have a vacuum leak now which I think is the grey and the 2 blue nozzles. Will bring another update when I figure it out Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2024-04-01_003054456.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	458.8 KB 
ID:	11301

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

The vacuum leak is not the blue ports, but the broken ports on the right... Those need to be plugged

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord Sedan

The grey one? how can I go about plugging that small hole do you think?

Edit:
    Got all the vacuum leaks fixed! had a friend help me adjust the carb and now im idling comfortably at 900-1000 rpm. We got it to idle at 750rpm and it sounded great but it made the car really rattly so we raised it. The car also no longer diesels now with all that fixed!
    Last edited by TrinitySRosewood; 04-02-2024 at 12:24 AM.