Thread: 89 Accord LX cold engine, choke, high idle

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX 5sp.

89 Accord LX cold engine, choke, high idle

I have an 89 Accord LX Sedan and I`m having problems with the choke in cold weather starts (0 to 15C...for this time of year).

Scenario is as follows:
    -Starts up fine with no problem in cold weather.
    -I let it idle for a couple of minutes to warm up the engine.
    -Start driving with the temp well below normal operating level and the idle at 1600 RPM
    -Drive for almost 10KM when normal operating temp has already been reached and choke is STILL closed keeping the RPM`s high at 1600 RPM.
    -Every now and again at a stop light I tap the gas pedal to try and disengage fast idle cam with no effect. Idle is still high.
    -Eventually a tap on the gas pedal will disengage the fast idle.

This ONLY happens on cold weather starts. Once the engine is warmed up however, no matter how many stops during the day I take (eg, to run several different errands for example) it will run normally with the idle around 800RPM. I should also mention that I no longer have a pre-heater hose that connects to the exhaust and the air intake as it fell apart a long time ago.

Any help is appreciated.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: 89 Accord LX cold engine, choke, high idle

Replace the pre-heater hose. It's not that expensive.

I don't know a lot about these carbs, but I would start with a can of carb cleaner. Clean up the choke assembly real good and see if that doesn't help. Failing that, rebuild or replace the choke assembly with a junkyard swap.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX , 2009 Honda Ridgeline & 2005 Honda Civic (1987 Accord LX - RIP)

Defintely replace the hot air hose from exhaust shroud to air cleaner. If you haven't already you will experience the effects of carb icing without that hose. Download the service manual http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html and go to 11-33 (Section 11, Page 33) Automatic Choke and Fast Idle System and start troubleshooting. FYI smooth engine operation is reliant on many devices controlling and controlled by intake manifold vacuum. Any vacuum leaks (damaged vacuum hoses etc) will give you problems.
    Last edited by car6289; 10-25-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Another thing to do, is let it fully warm up...

Don't half-ass the warm-up with these carbs, they will return the favor.

Letting it fully warm up, then tapping the gas pedal to remove high idle, should work. That and replacing that hose.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by mmastran View Post
    I have an 89 Accord LX Sedan and I`m having problems with the choke in cold weather starts (0 to 15C...for this time of year).

Scenario is as follows:
    -Starts up fine with no problem in cold weather.
    -I let it idle for a couple of minutes to warm up the used engines.
    -Start driving with the temp well below normal operating level and the idle at 1600 RPM
    -Drive for almost 10KM when normal operating temp has already been reached and choke is STILL closed keeping the RPM`s high at 1600 RPM.
    -Every now and again at a stop light I tap the gas pedal to try and disengage fast idle cam with no effect. Idle is still high.
    -Eventually a tap on the gas pedal will disengage the fast idle.

This ONLY happens on cold weather starts. Once the engine is warmed up however, no matter how many stops during the day I take (eg, to run several different errands for example) it will run normally with the idle around 800RPM. I should also mention that I no longer have a pre-heater hose that connects to the exhaust and the air intake as it fell apart a long time ago.

Any help is appreciated.
    I think you should buy a pre heater hose so that it will normally moves. And you have a safe ride.
    Last edited by gojrracing; 11-01-2010 at 03:19 PM.