Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this ignition timing too dangerous ?

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Re: Is this ignition timing too dangerous ?

Worked more on car on a different issue (loosen the rack guide screw on the relatively new steering rack to ease steering effort. Yup I found the reman rack was way too tight).

After road test, the engine is warmed up so I get the timing light out again. I am able to get very close to 4 BTDC with vacuum hoses disconnect and plugged. However, once I reconnect the vacuum hoses back to the VC, the timing mark is way advanced. I was only able to see the edge of the flywheel plate with the 15 +- BTDC, meaning it is advanced to a point that I cannot see the marks on the little opening. As I suspected, the new metal type vacuum advance gived too much travel when vacuum is applied therefore over advancing the timing. The metal vacuum advance is not made to Honda spec.

Anyway, I think I am gonna stop for a while here. Maybe the engine is too old (322k miles) I don't know. Maybe one day I can do a swap or whatever. I think with our cars this age, maintenance is a lot more heavy duty vs things like oil change, brake pad change/fluid flush etc. Maybe I have to live with the problems......

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord lxi

let me know how it runs man, I hope I dont have the same issue since we have the same distributor

Vehicle
    86 LXi

My issue is not really with the distributor. I have a mystery vibration which happens at a certain RPM (around 2k). Once the it rev pass 2k, engine is ok. I have ruled out many possibility but I have also done everything I can within my own ability in my own home. I think everything beyond that would need a shop or pulling the head out again or checking valve seal etc. One last thing I might do is to re-measure the valve clearance. Other than that, it leaves me little options:-

1) Live with it,
    2) Engine swap (expensive, no experience and no tools), or
    3) Pass it on to a member who has time, skills or money for it.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Is that little hole in the end of the advance pot an adjustment screw perchance?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 215k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Nope. The little hole is sealed with some glue. I didn't mess with it, only rotate the shaft to extend it then verified with a vacuum pump afterwards to make sure I didn't screw up.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord lxi

Unfortunately i'm having the same problem with this distributor. Can't get the distributor timed to the red mark, I took your lead and refitted the metal piece so that it sits spaceless in the distributor housing, now it times to the little mark beneath the red line, i'm assuming 20 degrees BTDC?

Were you ever able to get this fixed?
    Last edited by Donnyten; 08-17-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LXi

I think if you get it to align to the little pointer below the red mark, you are at 17 BTDC. You should be ok. Mine is even more far off than yours. Anyway, my engine problem, now I believe, is with the head. I need to take it out and surface it. I suspect I have a head gasket leak between cylinders. Will do compression test to figure it out.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord lxi

Did you initially have this timing issue with the stock distributor? Im thinking of getting a stock used one and rebuilding if possible. My timings slightly below the mark beneath the red. I basically have the distributor advanced as far is it will go
    Last edited by Donnyten; 09-05-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LXi

I did not have this problem with the original dizzy. I think the new one is not built to spec.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by AC439 View Post
    I did not have this problem with the original dizzy. I think the new one is not built to spec.
    That's a bummer. I had high hopes for those. Thanks for letting us know though.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnyten View Post
    Did you initially have this timing issue with the stock distributor? Im thinking of getting a stock used one and rebuilding if possible. My timings slightly below the mark beneath the red. I basically have the distributor advanced as far is it will go
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...ibutor+rebuild
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...ibutor+rebuild
    Dr_Snooz

Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Oh. I've been meaning to update this thread and let everyone know that if you run a copper line from the engine to a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the cabin, it makes pinging MUCH easier to hear. It will transmit all kinds of engine noise.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LXi

That's a good tip for diagnose engine noise.

I'm beginning to think I'm in denial of head gasket issue. I am going to get a compression gauge and check the cylinders.

I am starting to think I have gasket leak in between adjacent cylinders. I wonder if Autozone will have compression gauge rental service. I don't want to buy something I will only use once or twice.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord lxi

Too bad im using nylon. Damn copper line kept breaking. Seems super fragile. Settled with rubber hose over the nylon line into cabin.

If im gonna get this kinda timing with aftermarket unit looks like this vehicle is screwed unless there are better after market alternatives. I feel like the car can def run better if shit was igniting at proper times
    Last edited by Donnyten; 09-20-2018 at 10:00 AM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord lxi

Thanks

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord lxi

Thank you ac439. Your suspicion of metal vacuum advance was dead on. I got a used plastic vacuum advance from another distributor and replaced it with the metal one and now i can properly adjust timing

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Yeah, that's what I thought about mine. But my plastic vacuum advance is for carb car. Long story short, got this VC from rockauto and found the connection ports facing the wrong direction. Ofc, rockauto says fit so I bought it. But they always point fingers at customers for not checking fitment. Well, their site says fit but they insist its my fault. Anyway... same issue for front engine mount (they will sell you a carb mount for FI car, their web still says fit).

Again, I think the issue very well be head gasket cause I rule out bunch of stuffs. I am waiting for weather to cool down so I will pull the head out and redo it.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

Good work getting it straightened out guys!
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option