Thread: Is this ignition timing too dangerous ?

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Question Is this ignition timing too dangerous ?

Guys, I'm still troubleshooting the engine vibration issue (at a certain rpm under load). I disabled the EGR (unplug the vacuum from EGR and plug the hose) for a quick test and made no difference. So I went to test my next theory - "Possible messed up ignition timing"

I know my timing is definitely out of factory spec and more advanced then it is supposed to be. The mechanical advance is original and worn out. I did the lazy man (or poor man) dizzy rebuild already but noticed the two pins (weights pulled by the springs) sort of worn out and loose. I did asked this before about an Ebay unit and sort of pending getting it but now I think I should get it.

So I retarded the base timing by rotating the dizzy clockwise a little. The vibration decreased and became less noticeable. But I wanted to know how off my base timing is so I pulled out the good old timing gun. With engine at operating temp, rpm about 750 and both vacuum hoses connected, I could not see the timing mark on the flywheel. So I retarded the timing more (clockwise rotation) until I hit the dead stop. I finally see the edge of the timing mark plate in the little window and the three close marks (the middle is 15 BTDC). But it is still way advanced from the pointer. I looked at the graphic of the flywheel and estimate my timing is probably close to 24-25 BTDC !

I think I am going to order the dizzy from Ebay but with this much advance timing, is it safe to keep driving with this much advanced timing ? (Yeah, I know I have been driving this for a while but don't want to do more harm to it)

- AC

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Is this ignition timing too dangerous ?

I'll just say that pinging is hard too hear in these cars...

Vehicle
    86 LXi

I have been thinking the vibration is actually ping. That's why I start going down the path of ignition timing. I further retarded the timing and today the car has even less vibration. I think I am going to order that dizzy and get it replaced and set the timing to spec.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 171Kmiles, 1 owner, stock

Is there any chance your timing belt is off a notch or 2?

Vehicle
    86 LXi

I am sure timing belt is fine. When I changed the head gasket few years ago, I worked with a mechanic friend and we were making sure the belt was put back on correctly. Car back then ran fine after head gasket change.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by AC439 View Post
    I am sure timing belt is fine. When I changed the head gasket few years ago, I worked with a mechanic friend and we were making sure the belt was put back on correctly. Car back then ran fine after head gasket change.

Besides what been said you can drive around in a parking garage or tunnel and hear a car pinging better.

I think you should be checking the timing with BOTH hoses plugged car fully warmed up and idle set to factory.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

Vehicle
    86 LXi

I will verify that too with car warmed up and at idle. I think with both hoses removed and plugged, the timing should be around 4 BTDC. With both hoses connected, timing should be at the mark which is 15 +- 2 degrees.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Besides what been said you can drive around in a parking garage or tunnel and hear a car pinging better.

I think you should be checking the timing with BOTH hoses plugged car fully warmed up and idle set to factory.
    x2. That's how I figured out that mine was pinging.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 210k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

Vehicle
    86 LXi

[EDIT: Found my old thread about timing confusion here - https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...confusion.html, I think the below info is correct]]

I would like to clarify real quick about timing with hoses connected and disconnected cause the FSM is kind of confusing. I remember I asked this before and general consent here is -

FI Accord:
    Engine idle, engine warmed up, hoses disconnected and all vacuum connections plugged - about 4 BTDC

Engine idle, engine warmed up, hoses connected to vacuum advance - 15 BTDC (pointer should align to the center long timing mark on flywheel)

Correct ?
    Last edited by AC439; 07-14-2018 at 03:37 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The short answer is yes; that's correct. I think the 15 degree number varies depending on what part of the world you're in, your altitude, your local smog laws, whether you have a carb, etc. You're supposed to refer to your underhood label for the actual figure, but yes, as a general rule, 15 degrees with the vacuum lines connected.

The real question is: what mark on the flywheel is 4 degrees? The manual doesn't say and I have only educated guesses from looking at it. I THINK it was the green dot on my old AT drive plate. My MT flywheel came with no marks, so I copied them from the old drive plate. I hope I was right.
    Dr_Snooz

Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

yeah I agree its 4 and 15. But like snooze said the 4 isnt marked. The 15 is the red.

Reason I say disconnect the advance on any car when your suspecting timing problems Is just like you said your advance is suspect to start with.

the carb cars list 24 degrees.

My opinion on to much advance is these motors are stout there shouldnt much short term problems only long term bearing and pistion wear. If it was say my 6.4L hemi there is cause for concern theyll bust the ring lands easy.

Quick fix is run 20% E85 to 87 and call it good it will cover the pinging and youll come out ahead in power and mileage.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-15-2018 at 01:12 AM.
    Now running E85.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

Now running E85.

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Yeah I saw this pic too. Mine (AT) I think has T for TDC and also the three marks being center one is longest and labeled 15. My label under the hood is long gone.

Currently, I have the carb vacuum advance on the FI dizzy (long story short - Rockauto issue, they listed as fit, just like the front engine mount). And I have manually verified the vacuum advance has no leak and operational using a vacuum pump.

I do remember the shaft on the vacuum adv can be rotated for the length so I can still try to do some adjustment and see if I can get the base timing right. Maybe I should lengthen it so it will retard it a little further hopefully I can get the timing back within or at least close to spec.....
    Last edited by AC439; 07-16-2018 at 02:23 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Do you suppose that advance pot is causing your problem? It could be over-advancing or who knows what.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to figure it out. But I remember I had also messed with rotating the shaft (shortening it) on the vacuum advance so I could have caused the problem. At that time, I did not use a timing light (bad me).

I rotated the shaft one turn to extend it and put it back (without adjusting the dizzy body), car vibrates even less. Must less noticeable while engine cold, little more noticeable when warmed up. Next step is to disconnect hoses and plugs them all and check base timing....

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Does a new Richporter dizzie sound real good right now?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LXi

New dizzy ordered. Will be here a few days....