Thread: Why does my starter turn slow

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Why does my starter turn slow

Couple I dug up...

https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...b+choke+heater

https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...ternators.html

Also if your timing is advanced it will make the starter drag on a hot motor. Usually you will notice a little "dieseling" run on on engine shut down.

Merry Christmas to you as well.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 12-23-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I don't know what the sight glasses look like exactly, but you shouldn't have any trouble re-sealing them without doing a complete overhaul of the carb. Permatex #1 is a gas resistant silicone gasket maker. If you can, just remove the glasses and reseal them with the Permatex. Obviously you want to make certain the gas is in fact leaking from the sight glasses and not somewhere else before diving in.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

I finished changing out 17 exterior bulbs. Front bulbs some were almost gone not surprising since some haven't been changed in awhile. Headlights and license plate bulbs are good.

When I was checking out the gas leak on the carb's site glass I decided to take pictures and send it to my pc for a better look to make sure it was only leaking from the site glass as suggested by Dr Snooze. I took the air cleaner off and looked at the gas level and it was in an angle instead of level. I thought it was the lighting. I took the pic and zoomed in on the site glass. Would you believe there is a o ring stuck inside of the site glass sitting sideways. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I took a q tip and pushed on the glass I could feel the glass give a little. I assume the o ring was supposed to seal the site glass and somehow came loose. I guess they did'nt tighten it down enough.

Now all I need to know is if I remove the 2 screws on the site glass is there going to be alot of gas coming out or just what's behind the glass. Would a few rags put down to soak up the gas be enough or is there something else I need to do.

In what order does every thing fit together can anyone help me with this? Is it o ring 1st, then glass and then cover?

Can I reuse the o ring or do I need to buy a new one?
    Also how do I get the gas back in there, is it by pumping the gas pedal?

I'm wondering if the problem with the battery light flashing is related to the gas leaking on the carb heater core wire like Oldblueaccord suggested. The slow start after the car is hot may be related to the o ring being stuck in there too. I noticed when I have the slow start problem if I give it a little gas it starts right up. I always thought that was an odd thing.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

Here's an update of what I've done since last posted.

I was going to fix the sight glass. 2 screws, sight glass and change o ring seems simply. Before I started I took a q-tip and pressed on the glass and tried to sop up some of the gas. I noticed I could feel the glass give a little thought it was because the o ring was out.

What I thought I was seeing was the o ring turned out to be an optical illusion. The screws were not snugged down. They tightened them so tight they cracked the glass in half. What I was seeing was the crack in the glass. It cracked right in the middle and the crack looked like the gas level line and at a certain angle appeared to look like an o ring. I couldn't remove the screws no matter what I tried. I ended up taking it to a shop just to have them loosened. I took the car home took off the metal piece that holds the glass in and found it was broken in half. The o ring was right where its was supposed to be. Luckily I had my old carb and was able to use the glass from that one which I took off simply by using a screw driver. I guess snugging something to this company means to have the Hulk tighten it until it breaks. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. They do shoddy work. Something like this should not have happened. I'm no mechanic but I know when you have a gasket you only snug the parts down.

Checked sight glass the other day it wasn't leaking anymore. I cleaned up carb to see if the glass was the only problem at this point. I dried off the wire connected to the carb heater plate. I drove it the other day and it ran much better now that the gas level is right and it started much better. Can't do much this week because of the weather.

I will update again soon

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

I wanted to finish with the results of what I've been doing.

Reason why battery light was flickering when I stepped on the brakes was bad alternator when there was a load on the car. Found out by doing a load test with my multimeter. I did a test on positive and negative side of circuit. See youtube videos there is plenty of info of how to do this. Positive side was the problem. I also cleaned up and changed some of my lights which were corroded and putting a draw on the electrical power. Problem is now fixed.

I thought the problem with the starter would be fixed once the alternator was replaced but no such luck. I checked the starter and the power wire and found nothing wrong with them. Turns out the dizzy had a crack in the vacuum advance. Replaced dizzy and now the slow start problem is fixed. But I'm having another problem with dizzy being defective which I describe in my other post Distributor problem.

I hope this helps someone.