Thread: Transmission Catastropic Failure

DX User

Transmission Catastropic Failure

Well the other morning driving to work the 89 LXI auto transmission let go. I was at a red light and went to go when it changed to green. Hit the gas and it sounded like a bag of marbles went off in the transmission and all kinds of other fun noises. Transmission no longer holds park and basically is in neutral at all times. I towed it home and took the truck to work. Car has 155k on it and is really clean but not sure I want to play the used transmission game and change it in the driveway. I'm more mad because I just spent $$ on tires/cv axles/shocks for the car. I've done FWD transmissions before but that was on a lift. So I maybe putting it up for sale as is. I was told you can pull the trans out from the top to make it easier? Who has done this? Im not interested in a manual swap as it just wraps up more $$ into the car. Being that hard parts failed it will need a full rebuild are the hard parts available for these trans if I wanted to rebuild this one? Are there any remans available? Thankfully I have my truck so I don't have to run out and spend $$ or go buy another daily driver right away.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Transmission Catastropic Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Magna86 View Post
    Well the other morning driving to work the 89 LXI auto transmission let go. I was at a red light and went to go when it changed to green. Hit the gas and it sounded like a bag of marbles went off in the transmission and all kinds of other fun noises. Transmission no longer holds park and basically is in neutral at all times. I towed it home and took the truck to work. Car has 155k on it and is really clean but not sure I want to play the used transmission game and change it in the driveway. I'm more mad because I just spent $$ on tires/cv axles/shocks for the car. I've done FWD transmissions before but that was on a lift. So I maybe putting it up for sale as is. I was told you can pull the trans out from the top to make it easier? Who has done this? Im not interested in a manual swap as it just wraps up more $$ into the car. Being that hard parts failed it will need a full rebuild are the hard parts available for these trans if I wanted to rebuild this one? Are there any remans available? Thankfully I have my truck so I don't have to run out and spend $$ or go buy another daily driver right away.

Since you just had alot of front end work done I would look and see if one of the CV shafts slipped out of the trans or has failed. The manual and auto have different length shafts I believe.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

DX User

The CV axles are still intact and were the correct ones.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Please open that trans and show us what happened! These autos are pretty hardy and a failure like that would be rare if you weren't drag racing or playing Dukes of Hazzard.

The trans drops out the bottom easily with the car on jackstands.

I seem to remember someone on here complaining about the diffs being weak. If that's what failed, it would be an easy part to find at any self-service wrecking yard. Pick up a scrapper trans for $150, a rebuild kit for the same amount, have the torque converter rebuilt and you'll be rolling again in short order. Download the manual from my sig and read carefully before starting. There are some tricks inside that you don't want surprising you.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Transmission work is easy on these cars.

I removed a transmission in a pick and pull junkyard in Montreal. Did it in February (on a not too cold day), only using a standard tool set. No jackstands or anything fancy. Took me like 2.5 hours or so. (removal only)

All you need to do is lift the front of the car and if will come out from the bottom.