Thread: Coolant Hose Connector Popped Off - Now What?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i Coupe 89k Miles

Coolant Hose Connector Popped Off - Now What?

I am currently in the process of replacing all of my coolant hoses on my 1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe. On the very last hose, I ended up pulling the hose connector along with the hose. Although neither the connector nor the base that it was attached to appear to be damaged, they don't just snap back into place.

Even after using a hose pick and removal tool, I suspect that the bond between the hose and the connector was still stronger than the bond between the connector and the base.

Any ideas on how to reattach the connector to the base? I found a product called "JB Water Weld" that I think may work in combination with some mild sanding, but I have never used the product myself.

Alternatively, if I could find a replacement part, that could also be a solution. However, I was unable to find any sort of identification marks on the part the connector broke off of (see photos). It has coolant hoses and an electrical connector going to the fuel rail.

Even a temporary solution would be fine as I need to put the car onto a trailer this weekend, as I will be moving to another city.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo_2019-08-15_06-22-44-jpg   -photo_2019-08-15_06-22-39-jpg   -photo_2019-08-15_06-22-48-jpg   -photo_2019-08-15_06-22-51-jpg  

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Coolant Hose Connector Popped Off - Now What?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher_White View Post
    I am currently in the process of replacing all of my coolant hoses on my 1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe. On the very last hose, I ended up pulling the hose connector along with the hose. Although neither the connector nor the base that it was attached to appear to be damaged, they don't just snap back into place.

Even after using a hose pick and removal tool, I suspect that the bond between the hose and the connector was still stronger than the bond between the connector and the base.

Any ideas on how to reattach the connector to the base? I found a product called "JB Water Weld" that I think may work in combination with some mild sanding, but I have never used the product myself.

Alternatively, if I could find a replacement part, that could also be a solution. However, I was unable to find any sort of identification marks on the part the connector broke off of (see photos). It has coolant hoses and an electrical connector going to the fuel rail.

Even a temporary solution would be fine as I need to put the car onto a trailer this weekend, as I will be moving to another city.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Since you are in a hurry I would just plug the end the coolant flows from for the time being. I THINK it flows from the rubber you have in the picture to the IACV in your picture. That sensor use coolant to adjust the idle.

You could also get a double ended barb fitting and just fix the hoses together until later.

Either way the car is drivable with out it the idle might be irractic.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 08-15-2019 at 04:40 AM. Reason: edited IACV
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

It's supposed to be pressed in.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

If it will go back in tightly with fair resistance, then the JB Weld might work fine. If it's tight and smooth, even some RTV might be sufficient. I smeared RTV on top of coolant leak years ago and it's still holding up well. Which is great because it will be a mother to fix it properly.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW