Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel pump strainer/sock

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R

Re: Fuel pump strainer/sock

Im thinking surely the gas can't get siphoned back up the fuel line even if the o rings are bad

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by lx 1986 View Post
    ShiRen

What's strange is the problem is happening with both carbs same symptoms. Only thing in common is the pump. I checked venturis on both carbs and there not loose on either. I can't find any leaks, gas or vacuum lines. I'm hoping the car will start when I put the OEM back in and problem solved but that's wishful thinking on my part. If it turns out to be carb problem from what your saying about that I would have to buy a rebuild kit just to get the o-rings if there hard to find. Thanks for the help really appreciate it. I'll post back the results when I change the pump out.
    Remember try leaving he gas cap loose too.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Out of curiosity, what are you turning in your attempts to change the fuel level in the carb bowls? Because if you're adjusting the right ones, you should have turned that car into a yard ornament long ago.

A couple things to note:

- Never touch the float adjustment on these carbs unless it is absolutely necessary and you absolutely know what you're doing. Pretty much if the car runs at all, then the floats are probably adjusted correctly. If you're just making random turns to see what happens, you're begging for trouble.
    - Be more systematic in your troubleshooting. The manual has very specific tests for every component in the car, and lengthy flow charts to guide you to the right components to test. If you want to test the fuel pump, go to p. 11-42 in the manual (download it for free from the link in my sig) and do the tests it specifies. If you don't have a tester, borrow one from Autozone (it's free). If the pump tests out good, then cross it off your list and move on. You're only going to confuse yourself by making up your own tests and theorizing.
    - If money is tight, always test everything. Don't theorize or speculate. Test. If you think you have low fuel pressure, then test the pump. The manual tells you exactly what the pressure should be and exactly how to find out what your pressure is.
    - Replace only the things that are actually out of spec. If money is tight, parts are next to free on Rock Auto. If money is even tighter than that, junkyard parts are cheaper still. If money is even tighter than that, learn to jury rig, but make sure you test properly so you know what to replace when money finally comes in again. If you don't have the tools, then buy, borrow or rent them. Autozone loans out specialty tools. Some public libraries let you check out tools. Invite a buddy over who has tools. Tell him you'll give him a nice COVID mask, or whatever it is people offer each other for favors now.
    - Diagnose problems based on symptoms. So far, I know you have stalling at stops, poor braking and overheating. None of those symptoms points to a fuel pump, strainer sock or a float adjustment, so look elsewhere.

Tell us what your symptoms are. What is wrong with the braking? What is happening when it overheats? How is it stalling at stops?
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; Yesterday at 09:34 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Snooze Im going with the OG poster on this one I think he is whittling at it the correct way, frustrating as it might be be, with crappy aftermarket parts and all.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

My Acura Type R front brake thread

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...r+brake+option