Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: just... wow....

  1. #1
    LXi User InAccordance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6
    Posts
    796

    just... wow....

    so i was driving home from work this morning, about a mile from the house, I hear a loud BANG, and the engine starts knocking horribly. Pulled into some random parking lot, popped the hood and the first thing I notice is the timing belt cover is destroyed, look further and for thr first time in my life I have ever seen this, the cam gear itself broke in 3 places. 3 of the arms of the gear literally just snapped. Somehow, it didnt break the belt so it may have not done any permanent damage, lets hope anyway.

    I'll get a pic of the gear later, it's incredible.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.



  2. #2
    SEi User dacantu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: just... wow....

    Ouch

    -dan

  3. #3

    Dr_Snooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    9,627

    Re: just... wow....

    Nice! Definitely post pics.
    Dr_Snooz

    "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis


    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

    Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

    Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

  4. #4
    Accord of the Year - 2007

    Legend_master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    Posts
    5,030

    Re: just... wow....

    Damn, any rust on the gear?
    -My Car thread


    Shop manual <----Click here to get the 1989 Accord shop manual (clicking this will start the download of a 32meg PDF)

  5. #5

    2ndGenGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,682

    Re: just... wow....

    It was common on early CRXs to have oiling issues on the camshafts, then the camshaft would seize up inside the head. I wonder if that's not what happened here... random bearing in the head wears out and grabs the camshaft and it stops... and the timing belt just twisted the gear apart.

  6. #6

    2oodoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A
    Location
    Georgia-lina
    Posts
    9,044

    Re: just... wow....

    just wow...
    I wonder if the dizzy locked up, a siezed cam bearing would have been smoking and pushing smoke into the pvc and in the intake I would think, some warning there would have happend.
    pics for sure..

  7. #7
    SEi User dacantu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    just wow...
    I wonder if the dizzy locked up, a siezed cam bearing would have been smoking and pushing smoke into the pvc and in the intake I would think, some warning there would have happend.
    pics for sure..
    Wouldn't the rotary force of the crank be enough to turn a dizzy? I've never heard of a dizzy locking up but regardless would it have that much strength to break a cam gear? I think there is a different factor here.

    So when this happened was the car still running after the noise? Or did it shut off when the loud bang happened? If it kept running that would eliminate the locked dizzy theory because that would mean there's still combustion.

    I wanna guess something happened with the cam gear itself. Maybe something got passed the timing cover and actually is what caused the gear to break? Unlikely but possible.

    -dan

  8. #8

    2oodoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A
    Location
    Georgia-lina
    Posts
    9,044

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by dacantu View Post
    Wouldn't the rotary force of the crank be enough to turn a dizzy? I've never heard of a dizzy locking up but regardless would it have that much strength to break a cam gear? I think there is a different factor here.

    So when this happened was the car still running after the noise? Or did it shut off when the loud bang happened? If it kept running that would eliminate the locked dizzy theory because that would mean there's still combustion.

    I wanna guess something happened with the cam gear itself. Maybe something got passed the timing cover and actually is what caused the gear to break? Unlikely but possible.
    I know at the time I posted I was not able to picture the assembly, and I know I could be way off but since this is an unusual castastrophic failure I was thinking what is along the center of force most likely to have this effect on the gear ... the camshaft itself, that said, I doubt it was seized without some warning or symptom like a major compession loss at any given cyl where a lobe was cooked before it shredded the cam gear. My thought is distributor which is driven off the other end of the cam shaft, not the crank.
    The belt, being rubber, would seem to be an isolator of such force coming from the crank assy, ya know, shredding teh center out of the cam gear?
    If something locked up the crank in the combustion chamber, it would more likely do more damage to a valve stem, rocker arm, piston, hell rod bent etc.. so im stumped. So always leave room for factor X , lol... like a bolt or tool left under the valve cover that finally wandered over Maybe the cam gear was way over torqued or had the key jammed behind it or missing al together and the gear was bent and wobbly the whole time before it disintegrated but.. what your theory paints in the quote makes no sense at all to me, im sorry.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 02-16-2011 at 05:19 PM.

  9. #9
    3Geez Veteran lostforawhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    Location
    nowhere GA
    Posts
    15,401

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    just wow...
    I wonder if the dizzy locked up, a siezed cam bearing would have been smoking and pushing smoke into the pvc and in the intake I would think, some warning there would have happend.
    pics for sure..
    none of these Honda's have cam bearings, the bearing caps are aluminum, the oil is the cam bearing. that's why they have such high pressure at idle, unlike a domestic V8 or something with just a few PSI, the bang and loud knocking almost sounds like sudden loss of oil pressure, the cam would have possibly seized up causing the timing belt to tear apart the cam pulley, those belts are extremely strong, the centrifugal force would have broken the cam pulley at it's weakest point, twisting it apart, i remember when a fram filter came apart and jammed the oil pump on one of my early civic engines, the pump didn't break, or it's driveshaft, which went through the engine into the pan, but it broke the pump drive gear on the cam, and twisted the cam, also broke the cam pulley key
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 02-16-2011 at 06:25 PM.

  10. #10
    SEi User dacantu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    I know at the time I posted I was not able to picture the assembly, and I know I could be way off but since this is an unusual castastrophic failure I was thinking what is along the center of force most likely to have this effect on the gear ... the camshaft itself, that said, I doubt it was seized without some warning or symptom like a major compession loss at any given cyl where a lobe was cooked before it shredded the cam gear. My thought is distributor which is driven off the other end of the cam shaft, not the crank.
    The belt, being rubber, would seem to be an isolator of such force coming from the crank assy, ya know, shredding teh center out of the cam gear?
    If something locked up the crank in the combustion chamber, it would more likely do more damage to a valve stem, rocker arm, piston, hell rod bent etc.. so im stumped. So always leave room for factor X , lol... like a bolt or tool left under the valve cover that finally wandered over Maybe the cam gear was way over torqued or had the key jammed behind it or missing al together and the gear was bent and wobbly the whole time before it disintegrated but.. what your theory paints in the quote makes no sense at all to me, im sorry.
    I'm very bad at putting the thoughts in my head onto paper (in this case type it out lol)

    In mentioning the crankshaft I did not mean in any way that it was the cause of the cam gear breaking. I'm very aware of everything that could go wrong with a crank. I simply meant that the cam gear and cam arent driven by the dizzy, they are driven by the crank (combustion) so in other words I do not feel that the dizzy could "lock up" and create enough stopping power to over power the crank and cause the cam gear to break.

    However I do agree after thinking about it that there was something occuring towards the center of the cam gear. Like you said there had to be something that seized the cam, or gear but I do not think it was the dizzy. Your theory of a bolt or tool doesnt seem out of the question.

    I do hope to find out very soon what the real cause of this issue was.

    -dan

  11. #11
    SEi User dacantu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    sounds like sudden loss of oil pressure, the cam would have possibly seized up causing the timing belt to tear apart the cam pulley, those belts are extremely strong, the centrifugal force would have broken the cam pulley at it's weakest point, twisting it apart
    This also sounds very possible.

    Hmm I'm getting curious.

    -dan

  12. #12
    3Geez Veteran lostforawhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    Location
    nowhere GA
    Posts
    15,401

    Re: just... wow....

    the way the dizzy is designed, it would have broken way before the cam gear ever did. I believe the pin at it's base is actually a shear pin to prevent this from happening. the two tabs that go into the end of the cam would have broken well before the cam pulley

  13. #13
    SEi User dacantu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the two tabs that go into the end of the cam would have broken well before the cam pulley
    My thoughts exactly.

    -dan

  14. #14
    3Geez Veteran AccordEpicenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    Location
    Ridin Dirty in New York
    Posts
    7,377

    Re: just... wow....

    swap heads and check your oil pressure. there is somthing else going on here, you might have oil pressure probs either way i bet the head is trashed
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

  15. #15
    3Geez Veteran MessyHonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    22,198

    Re: just... wow....

    pics of the damage and under the valve cover

    1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

  16. #16
    LXi User InAccordance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6
    Posts
    796

    Re: just... wow....

    my camera battery is dead of course, so while it charges, here's some more info.
    When that bang happened it still was running and had power, normally if an engine blows or things of that nature, you lose power.
    The belt didnt break or slip, no teeth were torn.
    the cam still moves just fine as well as the crank.
    No obvious rust on the gear itself, it's been under the plastic cover its' entire life.
    The cam seal isnt leaking either.
    I really just think it was a freak metal fatigue failure.
    I'm going to tackle it friday and pull the head to see if there was any internal damage. Externally, the timing cover was destroyed, a small piece of the valve cover was chipped away and it scored the head itself along its rotation.
    The key holding the gear in place is fine. The gear itself came right off when I removed it, key wasn't jammed in the cam or the gear.
    I've never taken the gear off the cam on this motor and when I did remove the gear after this incident, the bolt came loose with a fairly short breaker bar so that rules out over-tightened.
    I'm just as stumped as to what caused this as anyone, i've never had a gear break like this and not do damage to anything else other than cosmetic.
    Last edited by InAccordance; 02-17-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

  17. #17

    2oodoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A
    Location
    Georgia-lina
    Posts
    9,044

    Re: just... wow....

    yeah Lost i know there is no cam bearing so to speak but there is the bearing surface for the cam which is what I may have been visioning.
    The pin in the dizzy makes sense, like I said I was not totally seeing it in my head as I was multitasking at work
    Now , Accordance what your last post says just bafffles me even more...
    Ever hammer the pulley on the cam? just wierd place for fatigue like this...


    oil pressure can be lost from the seal kit inside the oil pump, pretty common thing for these. Not even the pump is at fault when those go out , its like a heart valve in a human, the muscle is fine and pump blood but the valves fatigue from infections etc.. and wont allow proper pressure per cycle. The seal kit is less than 20 bucks but the lower timing cover has to come off to remove the pump separate it and install the new seals.

    Still loss of oil pressure , seems like something bearing more energy on the crank would have failed first.

  18. #18


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Vehicle
    04 Honda Element AWD
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,892

    Re: just... wow....

    lost it's funny that you mentioned that situation because the first thing i was going to say was i bet it was a fram rofl!
    soul for purchase ain't no ordinary crime
    Bult By Notorious <- use "statiK" as your coupon code!
    statiK's 3geez stickerathon!

  19. #19
    3Geez Veteran lostforawhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    Location
    nowhere GA
    Posts
    15,401

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    lost it's funny that you mentioned that situation because the first thing i was going to say was i bet it was a fram rofl!
    the only reason it had a fram was the oil filter gasket had failed, and the only filter i could find in stock was a fram, i was waiting on another filter to come in, it was on there literally a day when it did that much damage to the engine. I put in another cam, replaced the pump and drive rod from my spare pats and drove it another 5 years

  20. #20


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Vehicle
    04 Honda Element AWD
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,892

    Re: just... wow....

    no i meant his car probably had a fram.

    every car we happen upon in the junkyard with either broken camshaft / cam gear or a hole in the front of the block, the first thing we notice is the bright orange glare of the fram filter.
    soul for purchase ain't no ordinary crime
    Bult By Notorious <- use "statiK" as your coupon code!
    statiK's 3geez stickerathon!

  21. #21

    Dr_Snooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    9,627

    Re: just... wow....

    Still need pics.
    Dr_Snooz

    "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis


    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 220k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

    Can't see my car? Install the "photobucket embed fix" Add-On in your Firefox browser.

    Shop manual downloads available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5...udl0xk_Oa?dl=0

  22. #22

    Ichiban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4
    Location
    North of You.
    Posts
    2,090

    Re: just... wow....

    I bet it blew up for fun!
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

  23. #23
    DX User 86dxhatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Vehicle
    86dx hatch
    Location
    Venice, FL
    Posts
    42

    Re: just... wow....

    Damn, after reading these posts about fram filters I better go buy a wix asap.

    Did you get her going agian?
    Any pics yet?

  24. #24
    3Geez Veteran lostforawhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    Location
    nowhere GA
    Posts
    15,401

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    no i meant his car probably had a fram.

    every car we happen upon in the junkyard with either broken camshaft / cam gear or a hole in the front of the block, the first thing we notice is the bright orange glare of the fram filter.
    new quote

  25. #25
    3Geez Veteran lostforawhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    Location
    nowhere GA
    Posts
    15,401

    Re: just... wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    no i meant his car probably had a fram.

    every car we happen upon in the junkyard with either broken camshaft / cam gear or a hole in the front of the block, the first thing we notice is the bright orange glare of the fram filter.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge