PDA

View Full Version : Water vapor coming out of the exhaust

IBlackwater
05-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Hi, to begin with, I have already consulted google and the search function. So please, no sarcastic answers. I had to replace my entire head as the gasket was blown and one of the spark plug threads was crosss threaded. I just changed the old oil today and it was brown, so I know there was water in the oil. There is water vapor coming out the exhaust now and my question is for one, is it possibly residual water, or is it something else?

lostforawhile
05-04-2014, 10:14 PM
probably residual water, if there was coolant in your system, and it was going out the exhaust it has a distinctive smell. Why in the world did you scrap a good head because of a stripped spark plug hole? there are dozens of kits available to fix that, even on the car, since the head was off, it was a simple helicoil kit, I wish you had mentioned it first, we could have saved you a lot of money and aggravation

IBlackwater
05-05-2014, 03:48 AM
probably residual water, if there was coolant in your system, and it was going out the exhaust it has a distinctive smell. Why in the world did you scrap a good head because of a stripped spark plug hole? there are dozens of kits available to fix that, even on the car, since the head was off, it was a simple helicoil kit, I wish you had mentioned it first, we could have saved you a lot of money and aggravation

Well it wasn't just the stripped spark plug hole, that was just the nail in the coffin. The head was done, and I felt more comfortable just replacing it. The new head only cost me 200 and change and that is with the core charge. I felt that price wasn't too bad. I know for sure it's not coolant because, as you said, it didn't smell like it. Any suggestions on how to get that residual stuff out? Would engine restore or seafoam or something to that nature do the trick? I know we could probably run it out, but the fuzz around here aren't too kind when they see clouds of anything coming out your tailpipe.

lostforawhile
05-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Well it wasn't just the stripped spark plug hole, that was just the nail in the coffin. The head was done, and I felt more comfortable just replacing it. The new head only cost me 200 and change and that is with the core charge. I felt that price wasn't too bad. I know for sure it's not coolant because, as you said, it didn't smell like it. Any suggestions on how to get that residual stuff out? Would engine restore or seafoam or something to that nature do the trick? I know we could probably run it out, but the fuzz around here aren't too kind when they see clouds of anything coming out your tailpipe.
it just has to evaporate,basically drive it

IBlackwater
05-05-2014, 02:51 PM
it just has to evaporate,basically drive it

Thanks! That's what I figured. While driving it today, it seemed fine, but I just may not have noticed it. I appreciate the reassurance. This car has been kinda a head ache until now lol

niles
05-05-2014, 03:49 PM
The gas may have been a little old depending on how long the car sat while you were doing the head work.

But all cars have moisture coming out of the tail pipe, because gas has water in it.

3gmodifier
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
The gas may have been a little old depending on how long the car sat while you were doing the head work.

But all cars have moisture coming out of the tail pipe, because gas has water in it.
Pretty sure gas does not have water in it... when you have a perfect airfuel ratio and complete combustion, some a good portion of the exhaust byproduct is h2o.

Dr_Snooz
05-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Pretty sure gas does not have water in it... when you have a perfect airfuel ratio and complete combustion, some a good portion of the exhaust byproduct is h2o.

It doesn't, but the ethanol added to it absorbs water from the air.

lostforawhile
05-10-2014, 04:24 AM
water is a natural byproduct of combustion, it also collects in your exhaust system from condensation in the air and temperature changes.

niles
05-10-2014, 07:51 AM
I could've swore I read somewhere about an experiment where chemists removed all H20 from gasoline and it wouldn't burn. I thought it was part of the combustion process. But can't find any articles on it now...

lostforawhile
05-10-2014, 06:41 PM
I could've swore I read somewhere about an experiment where chemists removed all H20 from gasoline and it wouldn't burn. I thought it was part of the combustion process. But can't find any articles on it now...gas doesn't need water to burn, the water comes from the combustion process itself