PDA

View Full Version : oil pan stuck

mzabeefy
12-01-2002, 12:34 PM
hello, i'm trying to remove my oil pan. it is stuck. any suggestions/tips/tricks on how to remove it ? i've gotten all the bolts off and it's clear to remove. i've been using pry bars, but it will not come off.

A20A1
12-01-2002, 12:55 PM
hmm... you have the tranny dust cover off to right... anyways I pulled on the vent pipe and used a screw driver on the front side near the corners

smufguy
12-01-2002, 01:31 PM
u can use a rubber mallet or a wodden mallet to knock the pan off the seal. its an ugly job, i dont know how u guys do it.

Dutchboy
12-01-2002, 01:56 PM
make sure the vent tube is loose....take the clips off the pipe and spin the tube to make sure its loose and pull on the vent pipe and pry on on end...once the seal starts to break it will come off pretty easily....putting it on is just as much fun!

BEn

A20A1
12-01-2002, 02:00 PM
OMG yes!... that stupid gasket doesn't stay still.

Dia Fria Claro
12-01-2002, 02:59 PM
Be careful when you put that thing back on...it's a pain (on the 89 anyway) to line up straight and u have to pop it a little...so if you hit it wrong, there's a pretty good chance you'll get like a bulge in the gasket and it'll leak. I got it eventually, but on the 2nd try.

mzabeefy
12-01-2002, 04:59 PM
thanks! i got it off. i did the screwdriver in the corners thing, then sat on the pry bar til 1/2 of it came off. then i had to practically destroy the breather hose to get it off, and the rest of the pan came off after some pulling. both of my arms and hands were completely black afterwards. now i only have to put my new pan on :-D. i'm paying someone to do this for me next time.

Dutchboy
12-01-2002, 06:04 PM
i odnt know why honda didnt at some little studs to hold the gasket inplace on the pan so that you wouldnt have to fight it to make it seat proper....

the amount of swearing that came out my mouth when i did mine....the fact that your on your back and with no room to move at all underneath can get to you...

my advise ...if you start getting frustrated take a break and come back later to try it..then it normally works out al ittle better...thats how i eventually succeeded//

BEn

shepherd79
12-01-2002, 06:17 PM
yeah, i used big pry bar and i almost broke it.