PDA

View Full Version : Clicking while turning

Slamed89Accord
12-01-2002, 07:07 PM
WHne i am turning onto another road there is a doop doop doop doop sound until i straightin the wheel out and its normal. WHta could it be. WHne my uncle looked at my brakes before he said "the boots are shot" so is that what it is and that all that needs repalced or what.
Any help is appreciated.

merlindavis
12-01-2002, 07:14 PM
c/v joints... replacing the boot might fix it, might not..

Slamed89Accord
12-01-2002, 07:35 PM
does anyone know how much the boots are and how much the joints are? or a site to get them from...and are they hard to replace.

BMS
12-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Go here for CV boots: http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspparts&vL1ID=0&makeid=140&modelid=010&catyear=1989&catid=0037&pcid=414&vTitle=1989%20HONDA%20Accord%20Drivetrain/Wheels%20Boot%20Kit%20%2D%20CV

Grant2k
12-01-2002, 09:06 PM
you can't replace just the joints, you have to get the whole axle with joints. you can get rebuilt ones at the auto parts store for like $60. i haven't done mine yet so i don't know how hard it is to do. i know it's not right, but you don't have to do it right now. mine have been SHOT AS HELL for way too long. i am replacing them over the winter.

Slamed89Accord
12-02-2002, 10:10 AM
ite guys good lookin...now last night someone tried to break in my car and webed the driver side window so i gotta get that fixed first and i will get the other shit fixed

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
12-02-2002, 05:39 PM
It's your CV (Constant Velocity) joints. It almost always is the outboard joint. This joint is not available separately from the dealer. You must purchase the entire axle.

You might try replacing the CV boot if that has torn and there is too little grease on the joint (bearings). In most cases however, if the axle is making noise then adding more grease will not cure the problem. Your best and most cost effective alternative is to purchase a set of aftermarket axles. Don't think the OEMs from Honda are far superior. Erika put two new Honda axles in her car after they were making noise. Two years later they are beginning to make noise again. There are a few aftermarket axles that offer lifetime warranties on these.

They aren't difficult to replace, especially if you have access to lifts. A competent technician should be able to replace both axles in about 1.5 to 2.0 hours.

Claude

ACCORD EX
12-03-2002, 03:01 AM
i think because it already started clicking so you need new ones !

MIKE

Grant2k
12-03-2002, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
i think because it already started clicking so you need new ones !

MIKE
i was able to add grease to mine and reseal the boot and stop the clicking temporarily when it was in its early stages, but they really do need to be replaced.

ACCORD EX
12-03-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Grant2k
i was able to add grease to mine and reseal the boot and stop the clicking temporarily when it was in its early stages, but they really do need to be replaced.

i think that's a good temporarily solution until you get them ! :super:

MIKE

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2002, 10:42 PM
they wear out alot faster if you have junk boots on them, get em fixed asap if you can, but when they start to click, its only time before they get really nasty, and all the accord ive seen its always the outboard joint

honda88mike
12-16-2002, 08:36 AM
I had my CV joints, boots and some other stuff down there replaced professionally for about $250.

87accordHB
12-26-2002, 04:02 PM
Auto zone has the axles, YES you can replace the boot but repacking the barrings and greece is a bitch (i did it once). I would just buy the new axles and install them my self if i was you. Its not that hard, takes about 1-2 hours if you know what your doing. Just make sure you count your threads on the ends of the old axles before you go to the store to get the new ones. They have to be EXACTLY the same. and when you put in the new axles put the end into the tranny first, you will know its in place when you her a clear click, then everything else is a piece of cake. GL bro...happy driving