PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder leakdown?

89BadBoy
12-01-2002, 08:02 PM
My timing belt broke and reading thru the board found out that i could have bent a valve and shoud do this but what is it? and how do i do it?

Thanks for the help, Reading this board has helped me alot.

Grant2k
12-01-2002, 09:02 PM
what you do it put a pressure guage on each cylinder though the spark plug hole. ............ fuck, i forget how to do it. i did it on my car and it can give you some good indications. let me get the instructions from my dad and i'll post them here as soon as i can.

79EK1
12-01-2002, 09:20 PM
You'll need a cylinder leak down tester and an air compressor. Jeg's sells the the testers for 70 bucks.

Set the cylinder you're testing to TDC, then screw the gauge hose into the spark plug hole and attach the other end to the compessor. Pressurize the inlet gauge to about 100 psi and read the output pressure. The difference between the readings is your leak rate. If the leak is greater than 20%, the engine needs repair. You should be able to tell what's leaking by listening for the leaking air. If it's coming from the oil filler cap, the rings are worn. If you can hear it at the air intake, the intake valves are leaking. At the tailpie, the exhaust valves are leaking. If you see bubbles coming up through the radiator at the cap, you have a blown head gasket. It's also possible to have a blown head gasket blow air into the oiling system, and you would hear that at the oil cap, but I think that's rare. The leak down test is more accurate when the engine is up to temp, but then you can't look for bubbles in the radiator.

You can also test for bent valves with a compression tester. It' cheaper than the leak tester, and you don't need a compressor.

Hope that helps.