PDA

View Full Version : anyone wanna help a t/a with a rochester 4b?

hondamanlxi
05-16-2002, 06:41 PM
its an '80 t/a wit a 301 and a rochester 4 barrel.
1)for one it idles too high( even after adjustment)
2)it surges when stoped a intersection ( revs a couple hundred rpms)
3)it bogs down on hard accel even after being warmed up
4) when engine cold (not outside cuz its hot now and still does it)it doesnt always choke( goes dead or trys to)

timing is good, fuel sys is good, ignition is good( timing does wander due to a lack of teflon on something or another)

please help, these damn tires wont even chirp! ITS A T/A IT NEEDS TO SMOKE TIRES!

ps: its about to get the 400 6.6 pontiac swaped into it

A20A1
05-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Never worked on Rochester before... Check the float... maybe it's srpung a leak or is getting caught on something... :confused:

A20A1
05-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Hey do the Rochesters have vaccum actuated Power Valves?

PhydeauX
05-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Get a holley ;) It probalby needs a rebuild.

andy

POS carb
05-17-2002, 02:00 PM
yea definetaly swap the carb if it's a stock unit, although I didn't think they'd put a 4bbl on a 301. I hope it isn't the turbo one lol if it is don't even TRY to fix it just swap in that 6.6 :D

A20A1
05-17-2002, 07:00 PM
is this the car night rider was modled after?

PhydeauX
05-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Nah, 80 was still the smokey and the bandit style.

andy

accordlx
05-19-2002, 06:45 PM
I have had a couple of 4 barrel Quadrajets in my lifetime. They seem to hold up nicely until the day they let loose. Then they never seem to work quite right ever again if you don't rebuild them with care. I had one that I had to drill the metering block just to get to the adjustment screws because they were sealed at the factory so people wouldnt screw with em.

Anyways, it sounds to me like you need a rebuild. One of the floats must be leaking and is causing your problems or the metering needle is getting stuck open flooding your float bowls. The rebuild isnt that hard, just use all of the parts and be careful when putting the metering needles back in with the floats. The rubber seals on them prematurely fail if you put em in wrong and you will have the same problem.