PDA

View Full Version : Its Noisy!!

89accordboi
12-02-2002, 11:19 AM
i hate the sound of my car on the outside at idle, it sounds like a POS is there a way to fix it? i bet if mine were an EFI it wouldn't be making that noise i dont know, it just sounds like a peace of junk... would a full tune-up do the trick? help plz it sounds like POOP :wtf:

socal3rdgen
12-02-2002, 11:23 AM
everyones 3g does not sound like a smooth ass engine . there old . i have a lx-i and mine doesnt sound the greatess. but ive been told by another member theat my sounds in good condition. and it still doesnt sound the best. so dont worry. or at the very least take it to at leasst 5 different honda shops to have them tell you if your engine is in good condition.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
12-02-2002, 11:25 AM
a tune up couldn't hurt an probably make it sound a little better..Whens the last time you had a tune up??

89accordboi
12-02-2002, 11:26 AM
i'd rather just go buy a white 93 accord coupe lower it tint it put clear corners and get 2 12"s in the back... that would satisfy me much

kk but if i go get a muffler would it kind of make it sound better? or at least cover it up?

markmdz89hatch
12-02-2002, 11:26 AM
there's a lot of things that can contribute to a shitty sounding car on idle. I'm assuming you meant that it's got an erratic idle? If that's the case, check the timing, clean out ur carb, replace the fuel filters, and check ur plugs and wires to make sure they're in good shape. ...I have the same problem with my hatch, and it's been determined that the timing belt is WAAAYYYY overdue to be replaced. I'm just too lazy to get under the car right now.

If all else fails, what do you techE'Z think about getting a compression test to make sure ur running full compression on all cylinders?

89accordboi
12-02-2002, 11:27 AM
i dont know when it last had a tune-up i just got this car 3 weeks ago... (89 LX brown exterior and interior great condition 177k miles $1600 blue-booked at $2563)

bobafett
12-02-2002, 11:27 AM
would just make your EXHAUST louder... the engine bay sounds would be the same. just drowned out a bit.

muffler wont make that big of a difference without catback piping upgraded...

89accordboi
12-02-2002, 11:33 AM
i want a 4th gen :(

89accordboi
12-02-2002, 11:33 AM
i want a 4th gen :crying:

bobafett
12-02-2002, 11:36 AM
ok :)

www.ebaymotors.com have fun

Mantis88LX
12-02-2002, 11:55 AM
man fuck 4th gen, 3rd gen all the way

anyways,. it could be your AS valve is old and rattling. if u dont have emissions you can plug that vaccum line and it will quetin it down some. i did this and it stoped the annoying rattling sound.
im sure someone else can explain it a bit better.

Immeraufdemhund
12-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Mantis are you the one that originionally had the car in the avator that was missing like it's entire front end?

staticpat
12-02-2002, 03:51 PM
4th gens suck, no flip up lites!

Vanilla Sky
12-02-2002, 04:33 PM
i think you may be referring to me

Derick

Neuspeed007
12-02-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
man fuck 4th gen, 3rd gen all the way

anyways,. it could be your AS valve is old and rattling. if u dont have emissions you can plug that vaccum line and it will quetin it down some. i did this and it stoped the annoying rattling sound.
im sure someone else can explain it a bit better.

:werd: thats what i did, its alot quieter now.. do that and ull be happy i promise...
late-

markmdz89hatch
12-03-2002, 06:35 AM
can someone post a pic or a quick how-to on this one? Sounds like another excuse for me to get under the hood... ...so I don't mind.

Mantis88LX
12-03-2002, 06:59 AM
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/215000-215999/215895_35_full.jpg see the round thingy in front of the carb? pull the vaccum line off it and off the hard line it connects to on the other end. now plug the hard line and the opening on the round thing. and your done. sorry the pic is kinda blurry,

Mantis88LX
12-03-2002, 08:49 AM
the red line shows were the vaccum line is, and the points show the ends, just find the round thing in front of the carb, then there is only 1 vaccum line running from it to the hard line, and plug those.

you can do this with the airbox still on,

once u get under the hood and see you will understand what im talking about

89accordboi
12-03-2002, 01:03 PM
yes, it would be cool if i knew what a vacuum line was, and what a "hard line" was... sry i have a lot to learn :crying:

Mantis88LX
12-03-2002, 01:40 PM
vaccum line is a little rubber hose, hard line looks just like the hose bu it is metal

89accordboi
12-03-2002, 08:03 PM
if i take my car in for a full tune-up do u think they would fix that up?

DanG86LX
12-03-2002, 08:49 PM
Just pull #5 rubber line from the round diaphragm under throttle cable (pic) and plug it with a broken golf T or screw.
.. and why pay for a tuneup, do it urself man. That's what all ppl here do.

AccordEpicenter
12-03-2002, 09:35 PM
Half the time these cars sound bad its because they either need a tune up or have bad or aftermarket exausts. My lxi still has the stock exaust and it runs pretty smooth, and imo sounds better than d15, d16, f22 and half of the other honda 4s. Only h22a and b series 4 cyls sound better.

Neuspeed007
12-03-2002, 09:38 PM
or just plug it with metal plugs you can get from any auto shop... there designed to fit.

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 01:19 PM
y not pay for a tune-up when i dont know what im doing. i mean i would definately like to do it myself cuz i would learn stuff in the process, but im not sure im capable of it right now, maybe if i ask if i can hang aroudn the guys while they are doing my tune up i can learn... i dunno

markmdz89hatch
12-04-2002, 01:30 PM
can you unplug a cord from an outlet in ur house? Can you screw in a lightbulb? Can you count to 4? If you just answered yes to these 3 questions, you're capable of doing a tune-up!

Change the plugs, wires, oil, and top off all the fluids and ur set. And just for shits 'n giggles, check the air pressure in the tires while ur at it. And all that takes only the skills needed to complete the tasks you answered yes to knowing up above. (with the exception of gapping the plugs, and that's no brain surgery either)

But seriously, if you really wanna do it, it's easy, just post up any questions you might have, and someone here will give you the answer you need. This is not a bad thing to know in general, and can save you lots of $$ over time. Ask us questions, we're here to help.

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 01:44 PM
yeah im sure taking off the plugs and putting on new ones arent hard, im sure changing the wires arent hard, im sure that topping off all the fluids arent hard, but the thing is i odnt know where they are and stuff, i dont know where to locate the spark plugs or the 'wires'... i dunno man

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 01:45 PM
i called this palce to see a price on a tune-up and he said $89.95 and he would do the following:
replace spark plugs
replace wires
replace air filter
replace distributor cap

now that i think if it it sounds like a rip actually.... grrr im not sure what i should do, my main goal right now is to make it sound good, i dont want to hear the crappy engine or whatever it is that i hear, i want it to be a nice non crappy sound

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 02:03 PM
ok i was talking to someone online and the oil is fine and everything, and it kind of sounds like a fan, he said the belt also might be rubbing, what do u guys think about this?

markmdz89hatch
12-04-2002, 02:37 PM
...well, if ur sparks & wires have not been replaced in quite some time, then it's a good idea. As far as the cap, I can't give you a good answer on that. The filter: 5 clips, 2 wingnuts, pull out the old filter, plop in the new, put the air box lid back on, wingnuts, clips, pull out the hood prop, and gently push the hood back down. Start the car, see if it runs good. If it's still a shitty idle, and you gapped ur plugs right, replace the fuel filters (I'll detail that if you want me to). If still the car's not idling fine, all that stuff is cheap, and a good idea to replace so don't feel like you just blew ur $$. Then the last thing I'd do is have someone hit it with a timing light to see if you're off a bit.

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 04:11 PM
well i took it to this place to see what they think and some guy said it might be a valve problem as i was told to check by someone on this forum, and he said it might just need a valve adjustment or something like the push rod might need to be fixed cuz theres like 9 parts in it or something? i dunno but anywyas i called 1 place and they said they will charge $65 but they need to keep my car overnight cuz it needs to be completely cold? i was like wtf? anyways yeah... is that too much?

Neuspeed007
12-04-2002, 10:38 PM
man, i know how u feel, when i first joined this site, i had no idea on what to do insdie of my hood. You remind me of myslef 89accordboi, you even drive the same car as me! haha, but tune ups arent hard. Maybe a suggestion i could make for you....look for somebody in portland who is also a member on the site, and meet up with them, have them show you some stuff... or just take some time and open up the hood and play around..(dont brake anything) maybe you can check out some of the "How-tos" if you already havent...good luck with all the learning...
late-
nick-

anchovies
12-04-2002, 11:48 PM
Do it yourself. It's really easy. Just get a manual to get you started. It more than pays for itsefl.

89accordboi
12-05-2002, 07:33 AM
yeah i have a manual and all, haynes, but i got it for $20 at Mikes Auto Parts :mad:

anchovies
12-05-2002, 03:09 PM
Next time try ebay or half.com. It's alot cheaper there.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Hello,

I also have a carbed Accord and have found that when I use higher octane gas(89) the engine idles and runs much better. This car has had a tuneup recently and I think it is only the gas type that made the difference. Also try to spray some carb cleaner on/in the carb and clean that up a bit, plus if you want it really easy, buy a carb cleaner fuel additive and add it to a full tank. It does not gaurantee that the engine will run better but you just might see some improvement.

Hope I helped. :D

The RUS.:pimp:

87accordlx
12-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 89accordboi
well i took it to this place to see what they think and some guy said it might be a valve problem as i was told to check by someone on this forum, and he said it might just need a valve adjustment or something like the push rod might need to be fixed cuz theres like 9 parts in it or something? i dunno but anywyas i called 1 place and they said they will charge $65 but they need to keep my car overnight cuz it needs to be completely cold? i was like wtf? anyways yeah... is that too much?

walk away from that place quickly, if the mechanic there thinks that over head cam engines have push rods i wouldn't trust him to change my oil.

89accordboi
12-05-2002, 09:19 PM
nonon he said it was either a push rod or some OTHER part that was just like a push rod but are for our cars, i think it might have been overhead cam or somethin but i dont even know what that is, or a push rod so yeah.

87accordlx
12-05-2002, 09:19 PM
also you might want to check out www.howstuffworks.com and check out all the engine stuff, it gives you a pretty good understanding of how engines work. and if you have a friend or family member who is somewhat good with cars, take them with you when you go to the mechanics, some shoddy mechanics will try to rip you off if they can sence you have no idea about cars. but there are good mechanics out there, the key is to find one and stick with them, develop a relationship with them, if your parents use a certain mechanic, use the same one and bring your dad with you when you go. and the number one mistake people do is stab their mechanic in the back, for example, say your usual trustworthy mechanic wants $65 for a valve adjustment, but another guy will do it for $50, go with the trusted guy, it will pay off in the future. wow that was long, i'm done now

Grant2k
12-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bobafett

muffler wont make that big of a difference without catback piping upgraded...
yes it will.

if you really don't know what you are doing than a tune up can prove costly. Just small mistakes can end up being really bad. Like our spark plugs, they go in on an angle. What if you start to thread one in straight and you force it (which people will and have done) an then you mess up the threads in your head? You can do it with patience, but he careful. Take your time and pay attention to detail. That's all you really have to do.