PDA

View Full Version : Warm air intake???

SaiyaJin
12-02-2002, 06:13 PM
I custom made a short ram intake about 3 months ago for my car. But because of the battery I was forced to face the intake a little toward the center of my windshield. The bend causes very little restriction and I have had nothing but spectacular results. But I am very concerned that the position of the filter exposes it to a majority of the heat from my engine. I have a 1988 LX and I have heard rumors that since it is carb. that the warm air will serve the same purpose as if it were drawing colder air. Do EFI engines and carb. engines share the same requirements as far as the temperature of air being drawn in by the intake?

bobafett
12-02-2002, 06:53 PM
as far as "I" know, colder air is better, no matter what, because it has more density. however, i know nothing about carbs, and maybe there is a secret rule of physics that i am overlooking! :)

carotman
12-02-2002, 07:16 PM
carbs need cold air too, but not freezing air...

A20A1
12-02-2002, 08:49 PM
You'll lose performance as the car heats up... I've had that problem too... the battery that came with the car is very large... the one in my other car is almost half the size. I'm not opting to trade the batteries since the smaller one takes up less room and has less weight... and the car I'm running now Is just my daily driver. But getting a smaller battery or relocating it to the trunk will open up that corner...

I've had some problems though increasing the tube length... maybe it's just that the sound isn't as loud... but it just seems to pick up slower.

I'm going to look for a K&N open end filter... a very big one like I had on my other 2 intakes, they seemed to work the best.

SaiyaJin
12-02-2002, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone...

A20A1, perhaps we can chat sometime about the intakes you have tried...

I remember seeing someone on this sight removing the whole box on top of the carb but I can't find that thread...that seemed like a pretty good idea.

I've thought about setting up a heat shield but I don't have any room to spare...so relocating the battery to the trunk would help out in this situation because I could just extend the tube connected to my filter and I could place it in the free space...does anyone have any helpful links about the battery relocation or advice about the procedure itself?

A20A1
12-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Visit these threads:

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9324

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8955&highlight=carb+intake

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9442&highlight=carb+intake

79EK1
12-02-2002, 09:51 PM
Cold air intakes help carbs avoid heat problems, but you'll also need to rejet the carb to get the most out of it. The carb can't enrich the mixture enough to make the most power, so you have to jet richer to burn the extra oxygen. EFI cars do this automatically, but us carb people have to do all the work.

ACCORD EX
12-03-2002, 07:04 AM
cold air = more O2 = more burning !

MIKE

quagmire
12-03-2002, 08:15 AM
The molecules in cold air are more densely packed. So for a given volume of air ingested, the motor would get more oxygen with cooler intake charge. But "cold air" doesnt mean like 40 degrees.

89LXiCoupe
12-03-2002, 11:18 AM
My older brother (previous owner of my car) believes that carbs are better. I hope this will give some of you guys faith in your carbs.

smufguy
12-03-2002, 09:51 PM
carbs are better in the fact that they are easily tuneable with a screwdriver if u know what ur doing. but with an efi, u got no probs, but if u do have probs, then ur fucked. Its just a preference of what u life and comfortable with. When i had teh carb, it was fun till the time it started giving me probs, even in cold climate, when the car was fully warmed, it would pull like a demon. but after a while the carb got fucked up and no one knew how to repair or trouble shoot our most advanced and complicated Kehin carb. So i gave up and ended up with the efi. WIth the Efi ur given a peace of mind (IMO) about how and where u want things go. My motor was under a lot of stress with a faulty carb considering my idle was at 2.5K and fast idle was at 5K which i am sure fucked my motor up. But once i got the efi done, i fired it up, and it fast idled at 1.5K and dropped to 800rpm for normal idle under fully warmed. I was suprised about how quiet the car was and was really happy.

The thing is, If you really have a good working carb, stick with it, tune it and make the best of it. If ur carb is fucked, ur left with 3 choices, get a webber, convert to a efi or get a lxi or sei of ur choice.

The carb needs to be warmed to function properly, but that does not mean it needs warm air like it was previously misconstrued. it has a whole weird set up like the air suction pipe directly from the header and shit but oh well, it works. but the air needs to be dense for better AF mixture.

quagmire
12-03-2002, 10:17 PM
Carb is easier to tune. EFI gives consistency and drivability.