PDA

View Full Version : carb. to efi or auto to 5 speed? which is easier?

myaccord7
12-02-2002, 09:03 PM
i have a 89 lx. should i make it a 5 speed or efi or get the DCOE? which is easier? i think iam going to do the DCOE anyway. so my real question is should i try to make it a 5 speed? what do i need, how much, and how do i do it? thanks

zach:stick:

RedneckRicer
12-02-2002, 09:56 PM
if you have all the parts the auto to 5 speed is a fairly simple swap, most things are pretty straight forward, and thanks to the how to on here, you know all the parts you have to change. i did mine in august and i've got almost 6,000 miles on it so far without any problems. besides, it made the car faster

AZmike
12-03-2002, 12:15 AM
The EFI conversion is probably the most involved job of what you listed. I'd go with the 5-speed first since it's the easiest and I like to be in control of the car. The carb upgrade should get you a good power increase with some other parts like cam and exhaust as long as you don't need to worry about emissions.

smufguy
12-03-2002, 09:59 PM
yeah, the manual swap should be a breeze considering u dont need shit to worry abot as in wiring harness and stuff, but all u need is the tranny, pedal assembly and the cable. so ur pretty must set after that. Efi swap does not take that long either but it does involve a lot of work.

RedneckRicer
12-03-2002, 10:16 PM
lol, ya gotta change the computer, hook up reverse lights, use one of the manual axles, mount all the shift linkage and brace, change the rear mount, put in the pedal bracket ( a complete bitch ) put in the clutch pedal, change the brake pedal, put in a 5 speed starter, put on a flywheel, it takes awhile but most of its just flustrating stuff that takes some time, all in all, it took me about 2 weeks, while working, and all i had done to the car before was change the oil and rotate the tires... its not super easy, but its not difficult if ya have a manual to show you how things go together

carotman
12-04-2002, 06:22 AM
I would do both at the same time :)

1988starter
12-04-2002, 03:51 PM
I am with carrot man get a junked efi 5 speed donar car and use that

myaccord7
12-04-2002, 10:18 PM
i think iam going to do the weber dcoe and the 5 speed swap. if anyone has any pointers let me know. thanks

zach