PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord carbed LX won't start..please help

89akord
05-29-2014, 08:17 AM
I got an 89 accord carbed and soon after it died one day as I was pulling off. I would start it and it would run for about 2 seconds then die. Now it won't start period. I pulled the fuel filter by the firewall under the bay and saw there was no fuel coming through the filter. I thought the clogged filter was the problem. Put in a new one and it still won't start. Now I'm thinking its a fuse/relay problem. Im only 17 and this is my first honda. From what I read..when I turn the key to the on position, I should here a click from the relay, check engine light, the fuel pump prime for 2-3 seconds and another click when it's pressurized. What I hear are as follows: Turn key, NO check engine light (to be honest I'm not sure if there is one, correct me if wrong), pump primes for about a second, ONE click after that, that's it. It turns over strong but just won't start. PLEASE help.

scania360
05-30-2014, 02:53 AM
For injection...yess...must wait 2,3 second..
After the checklight went out..crank...
For carb i m not sure...
But usually for carb just turn on then crank..no need waiting..

Are you sure your engine carb...?usually carb dont have CEL... :)

89T
05-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Fuel pump or main relay? ??

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2014, 09:15 PM
x2 on fuel pump. There's a test for it on p. 11-44 of the manual (http://geminiwebhosting.ca/1989AccordServiceManual.pdf).

89akord
05-31-2014, 06:08 AM
UPDATE: it's a relay issue..my fuel pump basically works when it wants..my question is what do I replace? The main relay or just the fuel pump relay? Where is it located?

Dr_Snooz
05-31-2014, 08:21 PM
Probably your fuel cutoff relay. There's a chart with symptoms and things to check starting on p. 11-42. Troubleshooting flow-charts follow. You should have the car running in no time

Chrismfc
07-16-2014, 02:41 PM
I know it's not the best idea in the world but is there a documented way to bypass the fuel shutoff relay without just running a power wire directly back to the pump?