PDA

View Full Version : Has Anybody Added AC?

gyates93
05-31-2014, 07:09 AM
Guys,

I've got a 1989 LX that's carbeurated and also a 1988 Limited for a parts car. The Limited is also carbed. The AC blows icy cold on the parts car, while the '89 that I'm driving does not have any AC fitted to the vehicle. I'd like to know if anybody has swapped an AC system from another car onto their car, and if so how much work was actually involved. This seems like a huge job and I'm not sure if I want to tackle it, but the prospect of having AC for the humid summers when sitting in traffic is huge, especially when I have a perfectly good system sitting in the parts car.

How much electrical work would be required to install the system? I know I'd need all the AC parts, but are there other parts that would need to be changed for compatibility? Are the wiring harnesses for AC off of both cars just plug and play? I believe the parts car has a nippondenso compressor. Is there any sort of tutorial I could follow to do this? I've noticed that many people are deleting AC, but I haven't heard much about installing it from scratch.

Thanks!

lostforawhile
05-31-2014, 07:20 AM
you are going to need the service manual, it's available for free on the three geez wiki, if you do manage to do this, make sure you save the optional AC delete duct between the blower and the heater box, they are impossible to find here and a lot of people would like to have one

Dr_Snooz
05-31-2014, 08:15 PM
I would expect everything to swap right over. If you have a complete working system, I would do it. It will be a lot of work, though. Take pics and do a write up when you're done.

Hazwan
06-03-2014, 04:00 AM
I know theres a sub harness for the engine bay for A/C system. Not sure about the dash harness but then you're swapping from an A/C equipped car so everything should swap over. Its going to be a lot of work though.

conozo
06-03-2014, 11:15 AM
The AC was a dealer option that they would add when you bought the car. So it cannot be to hard but will take some time.