PDA

View Full Version : Is cruise control servo the same for 3rd gen accords, or different for AT vs MT, ...

derolph
06-01-2014, 01:51 PM
The cruise control in my 88 Accord LX-i will not hold a steady speed on level sections of highway. As I understand it, the servo unit has a diaphragm which could be leaking and therefore not consistently responding to vacuum.

I have done some searching for a unit to replace mine but I am unsure about whether the servo is the same on Accords with automatic transmission as for Accords with manual transmissions, and whether they are the same on carbureted engines as on fuel injected engines.

Also, I've seen servos for sale and they usually look similar to the image below, in that the metal stem that goes into the rubber boot does not come with the unit. So, how is that stem/cable hooked up to the servo?

Dr_Snooz
06-01-2014, 07:28 PM
I've asked myself the same questions. While I haven't verified it, I suspect that all the servos work the same way; only the mounting differs. With a little creativity, you should be able to get just about any servo to work. Before buying a new one, test the one you have first. Disconnect all the vacuum lines, depress the plunger, plug all the vacuum ports and see if the plunger stays down. If it doesn't, you have a bad one.

lostforawhile
06-03-2014, 01:54 PM
the only difference is the pink wire goes to the neutral safety switch on the auto and to the clutch switch on the manual there is no other difference, the servo pulls on a lever attached to the pedal assembly

lostforawhile
06-03-2014, 01:56 PM
The cruise control in my 88 Accord LX-i will not hold a steady speed on level sections of highway. As I understand it, the servo unit has a diaphragm which could be leaking and therefore not consistently responding to vacuum.

I have done some searching for a unit to replace mine but I am unsure about whether the servo is the same on Accords with automatic transmission as for Accords with manual transmissions, and whether they are the same on carbureted engines as on fuel injected engines.

Also, I've seen servos for sale and they usually look similar to the image below, in that the metal stem that goes into the rubber boot does not come with the unit. So, how is that stem/cable hooked up to the servo?

pull the boot back and you'll see how the end of the cable from the pedal arm attaches

conozo
06-03-2014, 05:16 PM
I have never seen a need to switch it out when people did carb to fi conversions or automatic to manual. So i would say they are the same.

lostforawhile
06-04-2014, 01:23 AM
some non honda cars they are different. but in the case of our cars, the servo pulls on a lever attached to the pedal assembly itself, it's a secondary lever on the gas pedal arm, so nothing is different, this is also really nice because you can change carbs,do engine swaps etc and the cruise will still work

derolph
06-04-2014, 11:54 AM
pull the boot back and you'll see how the end of the cable from the pedal arm attachesOK, thanks.

Before buying a new one, test the one you have first. Disconnect all the vacuum lines, depress the plunger, plug all the vacuum ports and see if the plunger stays down. If it doesn't, you have a bad one.Thanks for that advise. I'm not sure what the plunger is. Can you describe it?

Dr_Snooz
06-04-2014, 08:03 PM
the metal stem that goes into the rubber boot does not come with the unit. So, how is that stem/cable hooked up to the servo?

I'm not sure what the plunger is. Can you describe it?

It's where the "metal stem" goes into the "rubber boot."

lostforawhile
06-07-2014, 06:24 PM
pull the boot off and look underneath, thats the plunger, it pulls on the cable

kompressor
06-10-2014, 11:09 PM
The cruise button on the dash does not turn on on my 89 accord EX

Do I need to check the fuse?
If so, where is that located?

derolph
06-16-2014, 06:43 AM
Before buying a new one, test the one you have first. Disconnect all the vacuum lines, depress the plunger, plug all the vacuum ports and see if the plunger stays down. If it doesn't, you have a bad one.What type of plugs can be used to plug the vacuum ports? Should the plunger cable also be disconnected for this test?

Dr_Snooz
06-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Fingers make good plugs. It shouldn't matter whether you have the plunger disconnected or not.