PDA

View Full Version : question about getting 5 speed parts

89AccordHatch
12-03-2002, 09:02 AM
how many of the following parts can i get from a car without having to jack it up or go underneath?{excluding the pedals}
Im getting most of the parts from a pick and pull...and i dont really want the car to fall on me or anything.

5 speed tranny
shift linkage
drivers side axle
rear mount
5 speed starter
leather boot for shifter
pedal bracket
clutch pedal
break pedal
pedal stoppers
clutch cable
flywheel
clutch friction disc and pressure plate
ECU

dosh8er
12-03-2002, 09:46 AM
These can be pulled w/o a jack
(if your newbie level w/ mechanics is medium)

shift linkage
5 speed starter
leather boot for shifter
pedal bracket
clutch pedal
break pedal
pedal stoppers
clutch cable
ECU

These are things that you will need to jack car up for:

tranny - duh!
axle(s) - if you had some cinderblocks, and.. hrm.. it would be possible..
rear mount - pain in the ass any way you look at it. those bolts are gonna be tight!
flywheel - need to take tranny down first, then obviously you can get at it.
clutch friction disc/pressure plate - ditto.

if you're pullin off a parts car.. chances are u gonna need to have some forearms, an assortment of long pipes, and maybe a friend.

anchovies
12-03-2002, 01:55 PM
Maybe you can bring in one jackstand just in case. But I don't think they allow to bring jackstands in.

dXsquared
12-03-2002, 02:02 PM
why dont u get a parts car? i got a lude for 100 bux with a good tranny and other shit... i dunno if the pedals would be the same tho?

Travis

89AccordHatch
12-04-2002, 12:00 PM
they have those small jacks there in like every car...but now the grounds all muddy and icy.im tryin to figure out how i can transport a parts car to my house from the yard......

markmdz89hatch
12-04-2002, 12:37 PM
easy/real handy little secret..
...it's used by assholes all over the world when they jack a set of wheels of a car...

...just look around a little at the yard, find a long fence pole or something like that, grab 2 spares out of some of the cars there, stack the spares, and use that as a pivot for the pole. stick one end under the car, and push down on the other end. (kinda like a see-saw). The car lifts right up without any trouble. Have 2 other spares that you can shove under the car with ur feet, or just get a friend to throw 'em under while the car is up in the air. Works like a charm! Now there's no way that a few wheels holding up the car will give out, so get under the car and have a field day.

markmdz89hatch
12-04-2002, 12:57 PM
...btw...

...there's no way in hell you'll be able to get the shift rods off without getting under the car. It's just not possible. As far as the pedals, i would'nt try taking them apart at all, just get the 5 (i think) nuts off that hold the entire assy. in, disconnect the clutch and throlle cable from the pedals, remove the steering column/wheel, or at least unbolt it from the underdash.

89AccordHatch
12-04-2002, 02:59 PM
jesus.....i was tryin to get the clutch and brake pedals......holy shit.....i had to cut apart half the dashboard, rip out the cruise control and spend 2 hours on the icey ground bent under the dashboard just to find out that i didnt have a ratchet extension long enough to reach the bolts! maybe i'll go back sometime this week....

AccordEpicenter
12-04-2002, 10:04 PM
I agree with getting a donor car. Just get a cheep parts car (cant be more than $100-$200) then you have all the parts you need and who knows what else you can take from it, then just have the junk guys haul the parts car away when youre done. It beats the shit out of getting big parts at the yard. Depending on how expensive your yard is it might even be cheaper...

Greg
12-05-2002, 08:32 AM
I agree with getting the parts car. You can find 3G's for like $200-300 on eBay that run OK. I mean, it was the best selling car in America in like 88 & 89, no? And sold a lot in 86 & 87 too. So if you look around maybe you can get a beater with a blown head gasket or something for like $100.

I bought my girlfriend's 86LXI hatch for $50 because the owner didn't want to spend the money on putting in a new clutch.

I'm all for getting stuff at the junkyard, but when you're pulling the tranny, axles, pedals, shift linkage, and all that shit, then it'll take you forever. I personally wouldn't want to be doing that shit on icy, muddy ground.

1988starter
12-05-2002, 09:36 AM
My friend got an 100 dolar LXi for parts and when he was done he parted it off on ebay for about 70