PDA

View Full Version : too old

wprocomp
12-03-2002, 09:57 AM
Does anybody know the average lifespan of a cat? I'm debating wether or not to get a dynomax cat but I can't tell wether or not my current one is ok.I've had the car since it was new and had it replaced 8 years ago,is it's time up? I know that a high flow cat will give moderate hp gains but I dont want my car to loud:barf: maybe my cat is clogged and thats why my accel sucks.:rice:

DBMaster
12-03-2002, 12:33 PM
If your car passes emissions it's not too old. They have reinstituted emission testing here. My cat is over 13 years old and has 201,000 miles on it and was still good last time it was checked. I guess I will find out soon if, as I have heard, it should last the life of the car.

dXsquared
12-03-2002, 12:43 PM
my cat got run over when i was little... i guess it depends on how it acts. if it is a bad cat, tyhen it is probably shorter... when its an indoor cat that gets fed well... i lives longer...

Travis

PS i understand the question...

Haolerot
12-03-2002, 12:45 PM
I pretty sure that we dont even have emissions test where i live

shepherd79
12-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
my cat got run over when i was little... i guess it depends on how it acts. if it is a bad cat, tyhen it is probably shorter... when its an indoor cat that gets fed well... i lives longer...

Travis

PS i understand the question...

HAHAHAHAHAH LOLOLOLOLOLOL :D

quagmire
12-03-2002, 12:52 PM
I dunno, lots of tree hugging going on in Hawaii, but a small population. Its really a sniffer that you have to worry about.

pmip
12-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by wprocomp
Does anybody know the average lifespan of a cat? I'm debating wether or not to get a dynomax cat but I can't tell wether or not my current one is ok.I've had the car since it was new and had it replaced 8 years ago,is it's time up? I know that a high flow cat will give moderate hp gains but I dont want my car to loud:barf: maybe my cat is clogged and thats why my accel sucks.:rice:

If you do have emissions tests (and passed), then your cat is probably fine. If you don't have tests, then I don't know. You could always buy the new cat, and if you don't notice a differance, return it :lol Or you could just gut your old cat out...

Whitehonda
12-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Just get a bolt~on testpipe from...

http://www.testpipes.com/

I got one for like $40 shipped to my door

My car really isn't tons louder...at idle, but in the higher RPMs it screams!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeee

Grant2k
12-03-2002, 07:19 PM
it may have also been due to other problems, but my car failed emmissions BIG TIME and i replaced my cat and it helped a lot. that was at 167,000 miles. mine was shotty boomboty. But this is also by New Jersey standards where the Nazis make up the standards for the emmissions test.