PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter how to

Bullfrog
05-17-2002, 02:48 AM
can someone please post a how to change fuel filter.....i want to change mine but i dont know where it is:confused: ....thanks guys...

killerb09
05-17-2002, 03:25 AM
really really simple!!
on Carbed modeals theres 2 filters on by the gas tank and one by the carb

saem for the FI models but none up by the carb

first thin ggo get borth a primary adn a secondary filter from teh parts store one will be plastic and teh other metal(plastic is primary one)

jack the rear drivers wheel in teh air so you can slide under teh car and USE a jack stand to support teh car not just teh jack

beside the gastank there somewheres there should be a thing that looks just like the filter you picked up...

depending on how many times your filter hass been changed means what type of fittngas will be connecting it...
undo the fittings and slide them back......carfeul here you may loose some gas so you should get somethign to block the inlet side hose off while you replace teh filter

just pop it in both sides and tighten up th efittings and voila your done

drop the car back on teh ground(and check for leaks and such on the primary one....

now pop the hood adn on teh drivers side of the carb you will likely see a "red" braided hose goign to the carb adn in this line there will eb a thing that looks like the primary filter you picked up....

it should have clamps or fittings on either side of it remove these adn slide them back remove old and install the new.

Remember each filter has arows on them to point to the front of the vecehle make sure you don't put them in back wwards

good luck

ACCORD EX
05-17-2002, 04:41 AM
don't EFI cars have only one filter in the engine bay !? :confused: :rolleyes:

MIKE

Hoshizakido
05-17-2002, 06:43 AM
yea its on the fire wall passenger side its a big filter:huh:

Bullfrog
05-17-2002, 08:13 AM
can anyone post a pics...i have a general idea of where they are now but im a visual learner...plus we could compose this into a how to for the HOW TO Section..thanks1:p

me
:stupid:
my car

and then sometimes i feel like :banghead: when i work on my car

Einstein
05-17-2002, 08:20 AM
I bought a replacement fuel filter, but it's the only thing I didn't install yet.

The fuel filter is down much lower on the firewall than I expected... seems like I might have to remove some stuff to get clear access.

Fuel injected cars usually have a "sock" filter over the fuel pump inlet in the fuel tank. So technically there is two filters :D

killerb09
05-17-2002, 08:40 AM
actually so do teh carbed ones....so that would be 3 for them...lol

if you car has clogged filters you might test you fuel pump too depending on how long the lines have been clogged up....

Chrome_thangs
07-17-2002, 11:11 PM
I just changed mine and it wasn't all that hard. You don't have to move anything just pull the filter out of it's "cup holder" and manuver it towards you so you can get better access. I used two adjustable wrenches to take off the sending/reciving lines and put it back in reverse. Also change the little metal o-rings.

DBMaster
07-18-2002, 06:15 AM
That's why I go aftermarket on the fuel filters. The aftermarket ones come with a complete set of new copper washers. I used open ended wrenches rather than adjustable. To loosen the odd shaped "banjo" bolt it is definitely much easier to pull the filter out of its bracket first.

Be sure to loosen your gas cap and remove the small pressure relief bolt on the fuel filter first to prevent spraying gas everywhere. I got sprayed in the eyes with gas one time changing a fuel filter and it DOES NOT feel good at all.

Later.

ACCORD EX
07-19-2002, 02:43 AM
once i get my conputer back ! i'll do a how to on it ! :D

MIKE

thebestaccord
07-26-2002, 01:59 PM
I took off my fuel pump and filter and I had to lower the gas tank and take down and move all kinds of things. It took over 5 hours to complete because the stupid fuel pump someone super glue the damn thing to the gas tank its self, can you believe it. I guess its only my car that needs all that special effert to get to though.

buster133
07-29-2002, 06:03 PM
I replaced the Filter on my 89 Lxi, and the OEM filter I had ordered from Hparts.com came with all the needed washers. I used to use Fram filters for air, fuel and oil, but recently i changed over to all genuine Honda filters. I noticed a difference especially with the Honda air filter, just a thought.

monsonhonda
07-30-2002, 04:35 PM
when i replaced my fiter, a week ago, the idle wenbt up to 1800 rpms at idle, just a little cloggage in there. must have been why my cold idle didnt boost it as much as it should.

peace

fussell

Bullfrog
08-02-2002, 11:58 AM
how did you fix your idle ?

87accordlxph
08-04-2002, 04:15 AM
Those f#%in canister filters are a real pain in the ass!!!!!
Just to warn you guys. I would recommend a little WD40 on those Zebart and rusted bolts before you put the socket up in there.
Also, wear some safty glasses cause all that shit's gonna come down on your face and inta your hair (got a buzz cut afterwards :)) get ready for a little gas in your face 2.

Need a lot of patience.

Good Luck

-Mike

RedneckRicer
08-04-2002, 10:28 PM
don't break the input line to it either.... mine snapped cuz it was on way too tight by whoever changed it last, and when the bolt turned the whole thing moved and tore my fuel line .... $75 for that small ass line

Coitis1
08-21-2002, 11:27 AM
just bringin this post back to everyone's attention. I really need to change my fuel filters and was wanting to know if anyone was still planning on doing a how-to with pictures. that would help a lot. I read the other replies but still not sure where the filters are at. I have an FI model. I already found the filter that is on the passengers side on the firewall, but isn't there another? thanks

RedneckRicer
08-22-2002, 11:14 AM
thats the only one on an FI i believe, its not all that hard to change..... providing lines don't break

AZmike
08-22-2002, 03:11 PM
FI cars definitely only have filter to change. Relieve pressure (12 mm?), remove both bolts (used cresent wrench), loosen mount (10 mm?) bolt. Replace filter and reassemble. The FRAM filter I got came with copper washers that were too thin. Once my fuel pump started it would drip fuel everywhere and the engine wouldn't start. But it worked fine once I put the old alumunium ones back on. Sorry, no digital camera, so no how-to from me.

POS carb
08-22-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by RedneckRicer
... $75 for that small ass line

Say what?? Who the hell charged you that!? :eek:

Coitis1
08-22-2002, 08:03 PM
thanks 89LXi4dr, that should help a lot. someone mentioned wear safety glasses b/c the gas will come down in ur face. I thought this was all done from above?? oh well, i think that was for a carbed model.

AZmike
08-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Safety glasses are always a good idea if you're not sure, but I didn't get any fuel in my face. It just made a small puddle. Be sure to work in an open space. Gasoline vapor is no good.

Coitis1
08-23-2002, 12:17 PM
did u change it from above or below?

Bullfrog
08-23-2002, 07:46 PM
hey its done...all you have to do is take the input line and output like that goes on the fuel rail off and its a snap..took me 20 min...carotman helped alot also

AZmike
08-24-2002, 09:10 PM
I changed in from the top. It would be really difficult to work from underneath since all the fittings are on the top of the filter.