PDA

View Full Version : Oh my goodness, SEi for sale near me!!!

87DXHatch
12-03-2002, 01:51 PM
I saw an SEi for sale in the town 30 miles away where I go to school at. It's a brittney blue SEi Coupe... the leather looks to be in great condition. Automatic. 140k miles... here's the kicker, $1100 OBO!!!

I think this is more than just a coincidence because my old 3gee just bit it (well, not technically, but I don't drive it anymore).

This car is PERFECT!!! The armrest is in pretty decent shape, too! The inside looks gorgeous. I called the guy and he said he's selling it for a friend; it's been sitting 6 monthes. He put 4 very new used tires on it, and a new battery. He said the "Timing chain... timing rod?" (I don't think he's too technically inclined :D) timing belt got changed at 90k.

What should I ask him about? I'm gonna go test drive it tomorrow, what should I be looking/feeling for? Thanks a TON fellas!!

Oh, and does $1000 sound like a reasonable offer? :D

I am just FLOORED over finding this... this thing would BE my show car if I got it... paint job, rims, lowered, and the most amazing sound system you could dream of... :flash:

1989 DX R
12-03-2002, 02:04 PM
BUY IT NOW!!!

87DXHatch
12-03-2002, 02:07 PM
HELL YEAH! I agree with you... I talked to my mom a moment ago... she was pretty much like "sure."

I just need to get a $1000 loan with my 'rents cosigning. Then I sell my barely working but beautiful condition 3gee, and my very nicely working but horrid condition '85 Prelude, and I can pay off almost the whole thing.

:D:D:D

87DXHatch
12-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Anything to look for? Trouble spots? Or our our cars so good that there aren't any things that go wrong with them?

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
Anything to look for? Trouble spots? Or our our cars so good that there aren't any things that go wrong with them?
Pretty much, yea :D

Nah, I'd check the tranny fluid and see if it's clean. That will tell you if it's been changed regularly like it's supposed to. Also just check for the usual leaks, clunks, or any other strange noises or vibrations. Since you already have a 3g you know what everything usually sounds like and how it behaves, so it shouldn't be too hard to spot something out of whack. Just use your judgement

Sounds like it's real nice though! Good luck and hope you can get it. SE-i's are sweet! :)

87DXHatch
12-03-2002, 07:01 PM
Tranny fluid! Excellent! I wouldn't have thought of that... but it was owned by a college kid so I don't know how often he would change it...

I asked him how it shifts (of course I'm going to be paranoid about the transmission 'cuz mine was the cause of my not driving it) and he said "Umm... it shifts like an '89, it's not real smooth, but it doesn't clunk"
(I don't know about the "not real smooth" part, I might have made that up :D)

Tomorrow! 11:30 AM! Test drive! I'll post what I find out after that.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Hehe, well just remember, when it comes to Honda auto trannies: "A hard shifting tranny, is a good one!" :lol

....or so I hear

87DXHatch
12-03-2002, 07:10 PM
HaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa or not.

Mine hard shifted all summer (If I had realized it when I bought it, I may have had second thoughts) and then for the last 3 months its been going crazy until now it's just stupid to keep driving it everyday.

89accordboi
12-03-2002, 08:01 PM
"He put 4 very new used tires on it..."
new used tires :lol

ps change ur avatar pic thing plz its homosexual :rolleyes:

cowsprung
12-03-2002, 08:02 PM
theres one thing wrong with it, automatic :(

blazin3gen
12-03-2002, 08:11 PM
that sounds good, i agree check the trany shifting cuz if its like my 84 it'l give u wiplash. but believe it or not i dusted my bros 92 t-bird until it shifted into 3rd with an automatic trans so automatic trans aint so bad

87DXHatch
12-03-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 89accordboi
"He put 4 very new used tires on it..."
new used tires :lol

ps change ur avatar pic thing plz its homosexual :rolleyes:

Way to go from a good post to a f***ing terrible one. :burn:

That's a picture of ME, dumb ****, so you're damn well sure I'm going to take offense to that!

You've been here all of a MONTH and you think you can tell me what to do with my avatar when I've been here since before May!? For ****'s sake...

I can tell you are not a very bright person so I will simply say this: Comments such as yours are not welcome here. :rant:

Anyway... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know it's an automatic... I would prefer a stick, but hey, I really can't pass this deal up... plus it will make cruising (Which I NEVER do) easier :)

goldyaccord
12-03-2002, 10:23 PM
hmmm.. If i were u, I'd buy it... take everything out and put it in your other car if it's a 5 speed.

if not. leave it alone and cruise!

offthahook
12-04-2002, 12:28 AM
Get it SOON or it will be gone.

87DXHatch
12-04-2002, 10:56 AM
Ok, I just got back from test driving it:

The transmission shifts pretty smoothly, it brakes great, it started up right away and idled fine.

Here's what doesn't seem right:

When I put up the lights, the front right one came half-way up and stopped. It refused to go up or down. Me and the guy had to do some stuff to it to get it to go up, and there it stayed. How hard would that be to fix?

There are a couple very small patches of rust. The paint is kind of cracking in the front, but it isn't chipping at all. All the gizmos (power whatever) worked great in the inside. I thought SEi's came with power locks?? I guess not...

The back glass was not tinted, I thought that was odd too.

The hood release was messed up, I had to like tap on the front of the hood while he messed with it, would that be hard to fix? The rear lights were held in place with duct tape (on the inside) is there like a holder I can get to make them stay in there?

The engine compartment was very ugly, very dirty, but I rubbed it, and most of it came off, I think it was just dust.

CAN SOMEONE CHECK THIS FOR ME: 1HGCA624XKA0(o?)26763

I think i'd offer him $900 tomorrow (gotta talk to the bank) and cite the few things wrong with it above as my reason.

I NEED OPINIONS! Thanks!

89LXiCoupe
12-04-2002, 11:41 AM
You should try to get it for $1000. An SE-i in fair condition with that kind of mileage is still "good" you know.

87DXHatch
12-04-2002, 02:10 PM
I know it's a steal. I'm sure I could buy it and re-sell it for $2000 if I really wanted to, but I don't.

dhcarss
12-04-2002, 02:27 PM
I say offer him around 900, you can always go back to 1000, you never know untill you ask.. good luck,

safeel
12-05-2002, 02:11 AM
The engine could do with a good steam clean and that shud sort that out.
The hood is no problem, i had that problem with my old car, all it is, is the cable which releases the hood, that needs tightening, my m8s do it themselves over here to decrease the chances of their car being nicked, cos the hav an immobiliser but theives can pull up the hood and take it off, so this way there has to be two of em to nick it and they can be spotted a bit eisier than just 1 guy trying to take it. lol

As for the front and rear lights, they shouldnt be to hard to fix. a new back light with the clips to hold it n should do the job but i dont know about the front cos i dont hav flip-up lights on mine.

As for the rust, use a little rubbing compund and then some tuch-up paint to sort it out.

Overall, i think u should go for it cos we dont have the coupe version over here and i think it looks sweet.

Keep us posted on what u do.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-05-2002, 02:29 AM
Yea the stuff you mentioned doesn't sound too major at all. It's not perfect, but it won't be hard to fix either. And for the price, that can't be beat.

The headlight might just be the motor going bad (dead spot in the motor, causing it to stop half way up). I have an extra motor sitting in my bucket-o-parts (or what's left of it, hehe). I forget what side it's for though -- have to dig it out and look. Rear lights car be easily fixed with a new (used) light panel as mentioned above. I have the same hood release problem on mine too, as well as the parts car (86 LX) that I used to have, too. No biggie.

It's all up to you though. If you really like it and like the way it drove, buy it :D

Good luck!

89AccordLXI666
12-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Definitly go for it... what do u got to lose... It's an SE-i, I mean come on, how many of them do u see, not too often I bet..... If I had the Cash I'd definitly go 4 it.... Test it first n see if u like it, I'm sure u will :-)

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 11:40 AM
Oh my goodness:eek: It's mine! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm going down to get it today... $1000. You have no idea how thrilled I am.

I need somebody to host pics for me, cuz when I get my digicam back, I'm going to give y'all a photo tour to make you all jealous of the deal I got :D

BTW, it does have a bunch of minor cosmetic defects, so don't be expecting perfection here ;)

I'll keep you posted.

:flash: :super: :flash:

dj99
12-05-2002, 11:43 AM
That's great! :bow:

Are you going to change your alias? :rolleyes:

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 12:20 PM
Haha, probably... :D

I hold in my hand, a check for a grand...

I'm going out to get it in about an hour. Thanks, everybody!

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 12:24 PM
I just checked the KBB...

$2455... for good condition

:D

1989 DX R
12-05-2002, 01:19 PM
Hold on to it. Worth more than that...to a 3Geezer anyway.

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Boys... it is done!!!

I'm going crazy. I'm going crazy... it's like a frickin' dream...

I drove it home, turned on the cruise control for the first time ever (in an accord)... relaxed back with the lower-back support (good lord that's nice), and rested my arm on the arm rest. If I drove with my knee, it felt like I was at home in a lounge chair. I can't believe it... it's too good.

The other guy that was going to buy it (but I beat him :D) also had a 89 accord, so I'm sure he knew the deal this was.

Stuff that needs fixed:

Front blinker bulbs are BOTH out. Not too good... anyone know where I can get these, and they are pretty easy to fix, right? These being out would also be the cause of the blinkers blinking twice as fast, right? Apparently the front right headlight only needed greased up... it went all the way up today, but the guy said to grease it more. I'm keeping them up for a while. :) The inside needs detailed BAD. I think the previous owner was a smoker... but oh well, you can't win all the battles. :D The exhaust has a leak somewhere (he said the muff, but I'm not sure) so I will be getting a full 2.25" catback done in a couple months... I'm going to tell the people to make it as quiet as possible, and to do it as snug as possible, cuz this biz-snatch is getting SLAMMED! Courtesy of Jim's revalved Bilsteins (yes, they did go SOMEWHERE :P) :D
Other than that... just little things, too many to tell. I will tell with photos when I get my digicam back.

My plans:

Catback exhaust (quiet as possible), custom CAI (NO WAY! I can actually HAVE one of these now! :-O), Lowered (Jims Bilsteins, Konis in rear, Ground control coilovers all around ;)), bigger wheels (unsure of size, would like 17's but I might settle for less), and then paint (I think I will go Maaco, but just do all the prep work myself, unless I can find a private party to do it).

I am thrilled to death, guys, you have no idea... I ROBBED this guy.

anchovies
12-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Just go walmart for the bulbs...and good to hear you got the SEi. Top of the line eh...

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 03:32 PM
This thing kicks the living CRAP out of my '87 DX... and I paid $600 less for it too!!! :D

socal3rdgen
12-05-2002, 03:36 PM
great find!. welcome to the efi party. :flip:

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 04:01 PM
And what a party it is... no more planning 10 minutes ahead for leaving when it's cold out :rolleyes: <^> (*¿*) <^>

1989 DX R
12-05-2002, 08:17 PM
DX :stick: SE-i

:lol Nice find!

dj99
12-05-2002, 10:05 PM
If I lived where you live and parked outside, I would put a remote start/keyless/alarm system in there ASAP. ;)

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-05-2002, 10:09 PM
Sweet!!! Glad to hear you got it! Man, going from a DX to SE-i...that's a big jump! hehe

I'm sure you'll love the EFI, especially in those winter months :D

socal3rdgen
12-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
And what a party it is... no more planning 10 minutes ahead for leaving when it's cold out :rolleyes: <^> (*¿*) <^>

just wait till you leave in the morning my friend. that first start will be music to your ears. :D

87DXHatch
12-06-2002, 10:04 AM
Well... I think I found one thing wrong with it :(

I went and started it up (no pedal pump, WTF?? :D) and it started up right away, Honda-style, so I was glad.

I went inside to let it warm up (About 5° out... brrrr!) and after a couple minutes I start hearing a "vroom, vroom" so I go out and it's revving up to 2000 rpms and then dropping down to 1000 and repeating, like someone was revving it up with their foot.

Naturally, I was pissed. So I put it in gear and went around the block and when I got back it was idling normally. I called the guy and he said that he just started it, let it run for a minute, then rev it up high and it would idle normally.

Anyone know what's up? Or should I start a thread in the technical section?

dhcarss
12-06-2002, 10:25 AM
I would look at the thermovalve that is next to the tb, mine was stuck before. also the Idle being to high will cause that . just get a good tune up.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Yea that revving thing is the the electronic air control valve (EACV -- #8 in this picture http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+SEI&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+%28PGM-FI%29 ). It's en EFI thing, nothing serious and it won't hurt anything (just annoying, heh). Mine did that several times a couple years ago, but then seemed to fix itself and hasn't done it since. :)

carlessNcareless
12-07-2002, 10:19 PM
i dont know why im adding to this thread with this post..

do change your damn avatar it is homosexual

and good luck w/ the 5 spd swap, and dont worry bout all these little cosmetic things, the car sounds like its in damn good condition for a 89 and a 1000 dollarz

87DXHatch
12-08-2002, 09:28 AM
Can someone please tell me when I said a single thing about a 5-speed swap? :rolleyes:

I really wish people THOUGHT or READ before they posted stuff sometimes.

carlessNcareless
12-08-2002, 12:28 PM
if u dont do a 5 spd swap.. then thank you..one less 5 spd 3rd gen i have to worry about f*ckin with me....

Nighthawk
12-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Congratulations on the new wheels. I've thought about trading my "luxury hatch" LX-i for one at times.