PDA

View Full Version : Squeeeeeeeeeeeck

TREVOR
12-03-2002, 02:23 PM
:mad: HEY GUYS, I HAVE A PROBLEM. I LIVE IN SEATTLE AND IT IS PRETTY COLD AND ITS DOING IT MORE OFTEN NOW.
WHEN I START MY CAR, I HEAR (AND THE WHOLE CITY) A LOAD SCREACHING NOISE COMING UNDER THE HOOD. I STEP ON THE GAS A FEW TIMES TO GET IT TO STOP AND IT USUALLY DOES. I ALSO NOTICE WHEN IT IS SCREACHING MY HEADLIGHTS ARE DIM AND WHEN IT STOPS THEY GET BRIGHTER. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG. IS IT A BELT, ALTERNATOR OR WHAT? PLEASE HELP, IT IS FREAKING ANNOYING. THANKS FOR YOU ADVICE.

AZmike
12-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Check your alternator belt tension. It's porbably a little too loose. There's a nut behind the alternator that you need to tighten.

AccordEpicenter
12-03-2002, 10:17 PM
yeah do it soon or it can wreck the belt, you really dont want to replace that. Its just like the previous post said, the alternator adjuster, but before you do that, there is a bolt you need to loosen to be able to adjust it, and you need to tighten it when youre done adjusting

AZmike
12-04-2002, 08:11 AM
The adjusting nut can increase the belt tension without loosening the mount bolt. It might be a little easier to turn the nut with the bolt loose, but it isn't necessary to loosen it until you are trying to remove the belt for some reason.

TREVOR
12-05-2002, 11:37 AM
Thanx guys, you have been alot of help.

AZmike
12-05-2002, 11:43 AM
Glad to help