PDA

View Full Version : ...a topic not yet addressed

markmdz89hatch
12-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Hey Jim (or anyone else that may have some good input), I'm going to be getting in on the DropZone coilovers, and along with that, I'm shortening and revalving the fronts, and may even revalve the rears (Koni's). Now the reason for the revalve is obvious given the lb rating on the d/z c/over's. Now I know that in theory, the outcome is simle: Rock hard ride, poor 'everyday' drive quality, but great stability through tight turns, and overall a great stiff auto-x setup. But now all this stiffness raises a major question that has yet to be addressed (at least to my knowledge).

How resilliant are the strut mounts both front and back to the incredibly stiffer susension? Can they take a beat'n? Should I consider reinforcing the tower tops? Or am I just being overly worried here?

Grant2k
12-03-2002, 07:31 PM
i would think that a stut tower brace would help with that, all though i wouldn't see it as being a problem. anyway, for optimum handling you would want upper tower braces anyway, so they would be a win win situation.

Jims 86LXI HB
12-03-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
Hey Jim (or anyone else that may have some good input), I'm going to be getting in on the DropZone coilovers, and along with that, I'm shortening and revalving the fronts, and may even revalve the rears (Koni's). Now the reason for the revalve is obvious given the lb rating on the d/z c/over's. Now I know that in theory, the outcome is simle: Rock hard ride, poor 'everyday' drive quality, but great stability through tight turns, and overall a great stiff auto-x setup. But now all this stiffness raises a major question that has yet to be addressed (at least to my knowledge).

How resilliant are the strut mounts both front and back to the incredibly stiffer susension? Can they take a beat'n? Should I consider reinforcing the tower tops? Or am I just being overly worried here?

450lbs spring rates should be a non issue, I wouldn't blink an eye on the subject. Now, if you were talking about the 700 or 800lbs rates that opmmotorsports told me that accord racing guy (ya know that yellow car) was running, well them maybe, but I doubt he did anything other that strut tower braces, but I don't really. know. I do think that strut tower braces would be a good idea front and rear, even on a mildly sprung car.

87DXHatch
12-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
I do think that strut tower braces would be a good idea front and rear, even on a mildly sprung car.

Baby got back runs through my mind :lol :lol :lol