PDA

View Full Version : More power steering questions

Whitehonda
12-03-2002, 04:51 PM
I just got my oil changed today, and a friend of my at the Honda dealership did it for me, he also told me that my power steering rack/pinion, was going bad, and would need to be replaced soon.

My question is has anyone done this themselves before? I am trying to get an idea of how much work is involved. My 3gee is my only car, so I would hope to do it in a weekend or so. Any info you guys could give would really help!!!

Thanks
Cameron

Whitehonda
12-03-2002, 05:55 PM
I forgot to mention clearly, I am going to have to replace the rack, thats what I was wondering about.
Cameron

AZmike
12-03-2002, 06:51 PM
I did my rack swap in one weekend.

Goes something like this:
1. drain PSF
2. remove tie rod ends
3. remove transmission linkages/cable
4. remove the lower exhaust pipe
5. remove 4 PSF rack fittings
6. remove rack

It's been a while, but I think that's how it went. It was my first big job, so it went pretty slowly. A puller makes the tie rod ends go much more quickly.

Don't forget to flush the PS system. I think I ended up using 4-5 bottles of Honda PSF.

anchovies
12-03-2002, 11:01 PM
What are the symptoms of a bad PS rack?
thanks

Whitehonda
12-03-2002, 11:07 PM
Anchovies,

I didn't even know mine was going bad until my buddy told me. I really can't even tell right now. He said I should have noticed some shaking, but I really havn't noticed anything weird like that. So I guess I am in the same boat as you. (Wondering)

Cameron

AZmike
12-04-2002, 08:14 AM
I knew my rack was bad when it dumped a 1-2 pints of PSF into a parking lot as I was backing out. I'm not sure how to recognize mechanical failure in a rack. It's not the kind of part that's just going to snap in half on you so I'd wait until you're sure it's bad before bothering to replace it. The remanufactured rack you get may turn out to have similar problems. The reason most PS racks get replaced in the seals so they may not pay a lot of attention to the condition of the rack and pinion itself.

isadisa
12-04-2002, 04:51 PM
My boyfriend changed my power steering rack for me a couple months ago, it took him 4 hours, he says 89LXi4dr's steps were good except that you need an extra jack and a piece of wood to support the crossmember that holds the engine and tranny in from the bottom because that crossmember has to come out before the rack can be removed....he also says a set of flare wrenches is great to have so you dont mess up the metal p/s lines where the connect into the rack....
1. drain PSF
2. remove tie rod ends
3. remove transmission linkages/cable
4. remove the lower exhaust pipe
5. remove 4 PSF rack fittings
> remove lower tranny/engine brace
6. remove rack

AZmike
12-04-2002, 09:39 PM
Oops, that's what I get for not checking the intructions when posting. I just let the rear, front and side mounts hold the engine. The engine brace only keeps the engine front rocking laterally so you don't need any supports when removing it.

AccordEpicenter
12-05-2002, 02:23 PM
when they go bad they generally just piss ps fluid everywhere