PDA

View Full Version : Annoying electrical issue with pop up headlights

Boardbuilder
06-09-2014, 10:04 AM
I've avoided asking on the forums about this but i'm stumped and maybe someone can help me with this one.

Pop ups have been up since I got my 88 accord dx about a year ago. Headlights and high beams work fine. Went through the troubleshooting well enough (ummm...guess not huh?) but still cant figure it out. Seems like there's no power getting through to the motors. There's no light on the headlight switch itself. May or may not be related but cruise control doesnt work or seem to get power either, although I don't really care about that.

Both motors work after test. Made sure the bolts on the motors were loose enough to allow the lights to move up and down. Headlight control box is good. Main relay is good. Headlight switch is good. Cleaned connectors too. Checked for exposed wires and they all seem good.

There's gotta be something I missed, obviously. I'm stumped. Any input is very appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Dr_Snooz
06-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Did you also check the manual button on the dash to the right of the steering wheel? There is a switch there to force the headlights up so they don't freeze closed in cold weather.

Boardbuilder
06-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Did you also check the manual button on the dash to the right of the steering wheel? There is a switch there to force the headlights up so they don't freeze closed in cold weather.

I did. The light doesn't come on, but that switch is good.

May be time to rip out the dash and start checking the full length of all the wiring...Jeez, I really dislike doing car electrical.

Dr_Snooz
06-10-2014, 08:37 PM
May be time to rip out the dash and start checking the full length of all the wiring

Well, that's one way.

Another way would be to sit down with the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and a schematic from service manual. Read how the circuit works and figure out the most likely fault point. Then test it with a multimeter (highly recommended) or a test light (less recommended). At its simplest, you start from the battery with your multimeter and go the length of the circuit testing for voltage at each node. When you find a node without voltage, you've found your problem.

Let us know what you learn.

Boardbuilder
06-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Well, that's one way.

Another way would be to sit down with the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and a schematic from service manual. Read how the circuit works and figure out the most likely fault point. Then test it with a multimeter.

Yeah, I'm gonna get out the multimeter again and re-check everything to make sure. I'm sure I missed something along the way. While I'm at it, gonna see about why the cruise control isn't working either since that's more than likely an electrical issue.

Boardbuilder
06-17-2014, 09:30 AM
A few days and fresh mindset/approach later, I used a test light instead of the multimeter and finally tracked it down to bad retractor relay. I really don't see how I missed it with the multimeter, but now I know and I can find the part. Doesn't explain the cruise control issue, but I'll figure that one out later.