PDA

View Full Version : 87 accord lxi fuel injected wont start

f1gure8
06-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Hello everyone, i am looking for help trying to start this car up again. i dont know why it isnt starting, but it cranks really slowly, i just replaced the battery and everything works fine ( headlights, radio, AC, when i crank the sub ground wire gets hot but it wont start, yes i have fuel and the car reads that i have fuel but i dont know what else to do, im very new to cars so if u can speak in laymans terms i'd appreciate that lol thanks everyone

niles
06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Did this just start happening, or did you get the car in this condition?

Next to your speedometer, is the "PGM-FI" light on when you turn on the car?

Also, you can check the spark plugs, spark plug wires and the distributor cap if the "PGM-FI" light is NOT on.

f1gure8
06-09-2014, 06:06 PM
its my grandfathers old car

im trying to get it running, since it hasnt been used in about 10 years, it only has 46800 miles on it.

yes the "pgm-fi" light shows up

Dr_Snooz
06-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Check the ground wires going from the engine to the body and the trans to the body. If they get corroded, it will cause the symptoms you describe. Probably best to replace them all using the Big Three (http://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/64853-12-volt-big-three-upgrade.html) upgrade.

f1gure8
06-09-2014, 06:49 PM
the ground wire from the valve to frame is frayed and i dont know where the other one would be

niles
06-09-2014, 08:55 PM
The PGM FI light means you have a trouble code. Finding out what it means may point you in the right direction.

Check out this link to check your engine code: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81283

Oldblueaccord
06-10-2014, 02:28 AM
Hello everyone, i am looking for help trying to start this car up again. i dont know why it isnt starting, but it cranks really slowly, i just replaced the battery and everything works fine ( headlights, radio, AC, when i crank the sub ground wire gets hot but it wont start, yes i have fuel and the car reads that i have fuel but i dont know what else to do, im very new to cars so if u can speak in laymans terms i'd appreciate that lol thanks everyone

You need 3 basic things to get the motor to start.

1. spark at the sparkplugs

2. fuel

3. Both need to be in the correct time.

About as basic as it gets.

Pull off a plug wire,ground it with a screw driver to the valve cover and have some one else crank the car over. Start from there.

f1gure8
06-10-2014, 07:36 AM
fuel and spark are there but fuel isnt reaching the fuel rail.

gp02a0083
06-10-2014, 09:27 AM
sounds like a gummed up fuel line from the fuel filter to the rail or could be the fuel pump. not really understanding what you mean by fuel is there

f1gure8
06-10-2014, 09:52 AM
after running some more tests i need to buy a new fuel pump. anyone have any links to a really good deal

Dr_Snooz
06-11-2014, 06:38 PM
it cranks really slowly

This symptom usually implies a dead battery or bad ground.

when i crank the sub ground wire gets hot

This also implies ground issues. Starter current is finding an alternate path to ground. You would do well to fix this.

...unless you want a fire...

f1gure8
06-13-2014, 05:07 AM
yes i have made a new sub ground wire so i dont blow up while driving one day. thanks everyone

Dr_Snooz
06-14-2014, 07:10 AM
You're not understanding. Your sub wire is the only good ground you have. Current will continue to flow through it until you fix all the other grounds in the car.

f1gure8
06-16-2014, 07:45 AM
so where would the other ground wires be?

Dr_Snooz
06-16-2014, 06:53 PM
One connects the valve cover gasket to the radiator frame. Another goes from the negative battery terminal to the chassis and then to the trans. The last one bolts to the back side of the alternator.