PDA

View Full Version : Tape or glue to attach trunk emblems?

derolph
06-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Which method do you prefer? I need to reattach my Honda and Accord emblems. They've been off the car for a long time. As I recall, I removed tape residue from the back of the emblems and the trunk after removing them. To reinstall them, I could use either tape or glue, both of which I have on hand. I am inclined to think using tape might make future removal of the emblems easier but I'm not sure about that.

I believe tape usually leaves slight gap between the edges of the emblems and the car due to the thickness of the tape; glue does not.

What's your preference?

gp02a0083
06-10-2014, 06:51 AM
It was very common when i worked in the body shops to use the double sided 3m trim/emblem adhesive. Some new old stock parts come with this already attached, you can find the 3m adhesive in different thicknesses or look up a similar product on McMastercarr.com. having the slight gap does help when removing them from the vehicle a trick to get stubborn old emblems off is to use the plastic banding material you find on heavy packages or a guitar string.

derolph
06-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks for you reply. I went ahead with tape for the Honda and Accord emblems. I agree that slight gap will make removal easier. For the H emblem in the middle, I might use some glue on it; it's not as adaptable to tape. Right now, it is just snapped into the two holes but I'd rather put some glue on it to make it more secure.

niles
06-10-2014, 08:50 AM
I like using double sided tape. If you can get ahold of a good set of the white plastic pieces that are inserted into the two holes the emblem will be pretty secure.

Dr_Snooz
06-10-2014, 08:26 PM
How do you plan to control the glue so that you don't end up with big ugly gobs of it around the edges of the emblem?

scania360
06-11-2014, 06:29 AM
For instal emblem better use double side tape(automotive grade)