PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak - Please Help

AwsomeG2
06-12-2014, 06:51 PM
I have discovered a big oil leak and I believe I have found the source. I don't know what this part is called so I haven't been able to research and figure out a fix. Please someone tell me how to fix this!

This is the above view

Here is down into the engine where I believe it is leaking. It is wet with oil and seem loose when I wiggle it.

I can take more pictures if that would help.

conozo
06-12-2014, 09:34 PM
That is the smallest oil leak ive ever seen.

The black part you have in red is part of the engine wiring harness. so oil is not coming from that. There really are only three places oil can come from. One is the O-ring around your cam way in the distributor area and 2nd is your valve cover gasket, the 3rd is the three bolts that hold down your valve cover. I would suspect your valve cover gasket or where the valve cover bolt.

AwsomeG2
06-13-2014, 07:37 PM
I looked a little harder and it looks like most of the oil is just behind the valve cover
I just replaced the rubber gasket last week do you think It is the problem?

niles
06-13-2014, 09:00 PM
There's a good chance the valve cover gasket is leaking if you didn't put RTV in the corners by the cam shaft.

derolph
06-15-2014, 06:01 PM
There really are only three places oil can come from.Are you kidding? What about the oil pan gasket, the oil filter stand gasket, the transaxle seals on both sides (the seals on both sides where the half axle fits into the transaxle), a main seal, camshaft seal, etc?

conozo
06-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Are you kidding? What about the oil pan gasket, the oil filter stand gasket, the transaxle seals on both sides (the seals on both sides where the half axle fits into the transaxle), a main seal, camshaft seal, etc?

no im not kidding. We are talking about oil from the exact spot he told us about. The things you mention would not leak oil to the top of the engine were he mentioned.

AwsomeG2
06-15-2014, 08:13 PM
There's a good chance the valve cover gasket is leaking if you didn't put RTV in the corners by the cam shaft.
I did put the seal stuff in the corners but I will take the cover off and try again when I get the chance.

derolph
06-16-2014, 04:08 AM
I did put the seal stuff in the corners but I will take the cover off and try again when I get the chance.You should be able to visually determine whether the valve cover gasket is leaking.

niles
06-16-2014, 06:06 AM
Check the pcv valve as well, if you have oil on the intake manifold.

Dr_Snooz
06-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Check your install. Sometimes the gasket gets folded or doesn't seat right. You have a big leak so it should be fairly obvious what's going on when you see it.

derolph
06-18-2014, 10:37 AM
There's a good chance the valve cover gasket is leaking if you didn't put RTV in the corners by the cam shaft.I don't see why RTV is needed on a valve cover gasket. I used none when I replaced my valve cover gasket and have no leaking from the valve cover. Why would RTV be needed on flat gasket? Obviously, proper placement of the gasket is necessary.

niles
06-18-2014, 11:08 AM
I don't see why RTV is needed on a valve cover gasket. I used none when I replaced my valve cover gasket and have no leaking from the valve cover. Why would RTV be needed on flat gasket? Obviously, proper placement of the gasket is necessary.
Its part of the specified procedure. the cylinder head is not a seamless surface like other engines.

AwsomeG2
06-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't see why RTV is needed on a valve cover gasket. I used none when I replaced my valve cover gasket and have no leaking from the valve cover. Why would RTV be needed on flat gasket? Obviously, proper placement of the gasket is necessary.
It also said to do so in the instructions that came with the gasket

derolph
06-18-2014, 01:50 PM
It also said to do so in the instructions that came with the gasketWell, maybe I did use RTV. The more I think about it, my memory of what I did is not perfectly clear.