PDA

View Full Version : 2 things....Any ideas?

Rosco
12-04-2002, 05:57 AM
Alright, my accord is finally on the road. It's an '83...but hopefully you guys can help answer these for me...i Haven't been able to find a board for that gen.

First thing, It's really cold up here...i'm talking like 10 degrees. Problem is the transmission doesn't like to shift all the time. If it's in D4, it'll basically stay in first gear..I have to shift into 2 to get it to go into 2nd...and 3rd...it seems to shift down into first. I've also noticed sometimes that if I shift it into d4 or d3 while previously in 2nd, it seems to shift into neutral. Oh yeah, it'll happen too when the car is warmed up.

My second problem is, the car's temp will stay nice and warm when it's parked for about 5 mins. As soon as I start to move the temp gauge drops all the way down. You can notice that the gauge isn't off, because when I turn the heater on, the air coming out isn't as hot as it should be...I'm talking barely warm at all.

All your help is appreciated

Rosco

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Hello,

I can't help you out with your tranny problem, but I may have a solution for your overcooling engine condition. Back when I used to live in Russia (ahh, the early years :smokin: ), the cars would have the same problem of overcooling. So what the motorists would do is cover the air inlet/grill partially with a close-knit cloth in order to reduce airflow and therefore keep the temperature of the engine higher. It is pretty easy to experiment with this method and although it may not look too good, it saves you from the overcooling damage that can be induced to the engine.

One final thought on the tranny. Check your fluid level and fluid condition. It may be that the fluid is getting too thick in the cold conditions. Try replcaing the fluid too and see if it changes the perforemance.

Hope this helps ya. :)

The RUS. :pimp:

cruznz
12-04-2002, 06:45 PM
maybe check the gearshift linkages

Mantis88LX
12-04-2002, 08:19 PM
my trans does the same thing but only when i first run it for the day. if i sit for awhile and let it warm up good then it shifts fine. dont know what it could be, my trans cable is adjusted right and the fluid is new.

AccordEpicenter
12-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Hey try adjusting the TV cable, it can make the tranny really reluctant to shit if its crazy off

1988starter
12-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Try changing the tranny oil