PDA

View Full Version : synthetic or not?

Greg
12-04-2002, 08:50 AM
I read someone's post about breaking in new camshafts, and they said don't use synthetic oil.

Is there a reason not to use synthetic when you're breaking in new engines? How about after it's broken in?

I'm not breaking in any new engines now, but I decided to try some synthetic in my 3G LX (it's got 235K miles). Is it a bad idea to use synthetic at high mileage?

Last time I changed oil I mixed some synth valvoline 10-30 w/regular Castrol GTX 10-30 for the hell of it. Does anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-04-2002, 10:20 AM
You're not supposed to use synthetic in new engines because everything is still working itself into place, and the synthetic is too slippery to allow that. You need the extra little bit of friction. After it's broken in though, synthetic is real good.

For the high mileage, it really depends on the condition of the engine. If it's leaking or burning oil, synthetic will more than likely make it worse. But if it doesn't leak or burn any oil, I'd say go ahead and switch. I first switched mine to synthetic (strait from conv.) @ 260k. Haven't had a single problem yet, and it's up to 308k. I use Mobil 1 10w-30...it's great

:)

Mike's89AccordLX
12-04-2002, 11:02 AM
I use AMS Oil 5W-30 I only have to change this kind of oil once per year and change the oil filter every six months. It's fully synthetic too.

Greg
12-04-2002, 11:52 AM
My engine leaks a little bit (I think a tiny bit from the distributor O-ring which I will change in the spring when it's warm again -- too lazy to bother now), and I think it might leak a tiny bit from one corner of the oil pan.

I would say that I lose like 1 qt every 3500 miles, but I don't really think that's a big deal. I can just top it off like once between oil changes and it's fine. I recently changed my PCV and breather element, and I'm hoping it'll hold oil a little better.

But I'll give the synthetic a try for a while and see if it'll run smooth and not leak out too quickly between oil changes.

Thanks for the info!

markmdz89hatch
12-04-2002, 11:57 AM
so the only question I have now is...

...I'm already running Mobil 1 and have been since 120K (now at 202K). I've been told by numerous people that once you go syn. you can't go back. Is that true? If so, what do I do now? I want to get a cam regrind and possibly new pistons too, and you guys are saying that syn. is no good for "new" internal parts.

DBMaster
12-04-2002, 12:20 PM
There is no problem running synthetic from the outset, but you should do what gives you the warm fuzzies. There is no problem going back to conventional oil, either. New parts are going to get broken in no matter what you use.

It's the same deal with the Dexcool (orange) coolant v. the green stuff. Any time something new and better comes out you will hear all sorts of myths and urban legends about why it's bad.

20 years ago they were saying that the CD format for music wouldn't last because the aluminum film inside the CD's would oxidize and you would loose your music. Now vinyl LP's are the stuff of garage sales and collectors and CD's cost less than $1 each to manufacture.

dosh8er
12-04-2002, 01:58 PM
:stupid: ALL THE WAY! You go DBMaster!

Lester Lugnut
12-04-2002, 09:35 PM
I've put close to 260,000 miles on my '87 Accord Lx using conventional motor oil. This stuff costs about 1/4 what syn does. Why would I want to use syn????

How many mid-80's cars grew up on syn???

This new stuff might be the way to go in the newer cars where engine tolerances grow closer each year, but for 10+ year old cars it simply makes no sense to spend that kind of money.

My 2 cents.

Grant2k
12-04-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
There is no problem running synthetic from the outset, but you should do what gives you the warm fuzzies. There is no problem going back to conventional oil, either. New parts are going to get broken in no matter what you use.

It's the same deal with the Dexcool (orange) coolant v. the green stuff. Any time something new and better comes out you will hear all sorts of myths and urban legends about why it's bad.

20 years ago they were saying that the CD format for music wouldn't last because the aluminum film inside the CD's would oxidize and you would loose your music. Now vinyl LP's are the stuff of garage sales and collectors and CD's cost less than $1 each to manufacture.
about Dexcool, it's not supposed to be better, it's supposed to be used only in applications that require it. It has different properties than regular (green) anti-freeze so they aren't interchangable. It's mostly only for newer GM cars.

maka_RTH
12-04-2002, 09:51 PM
i think when i first got my pontiac, it must've had dexcool(orange stuff?), cuz iwhen i first got my coolant leak in it, i wasn't sure what was leaking cuz it was orange, not any regular color fluid...

AccordEpicenter
12-04-2002, 09:56 PM
From what everybody tells me, the synthetics work wonders, but that its still not a good idea to run them for long periods without changing (like 8000 miles between changes or somthing, you get the idea)...if you could afford to use the synthetics and change the oil every 3000-4500 miles than I say go for it

Grant2k
12-04-2002, 10:11 PM
GM has used a red anti-freeze for a while i am pretty sure, and some other cars. If it was a newer car, within the last few years, than it was probably Dexcool. it is orange.

maka_RTH
12-04-2002, 10:39 PM
it's an '89 sunbid, i bought it from a friend. when i knew it was a coolant leak, i just figured it was rust pouring out with the antifreeze...

Grant2k
12-05-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by maka_RTH
it's an '89 sunbid, i bought it from a friend. when i knew it was a coolant leak, i just figured it was rust pouring out with the antifreeze...
i actually think that teh green and red might be interchangeable, but i'm not sure so i'll check. i know my grandma's 86 Calais uses red, so that's probably what you had.

87accordlx
12-05-2002, 06:20 PM
the guy at canadian tire told me that once u switch to synthetic you have a good chance of developing leaks if you switch back, i use valvoline 5w-30 regular oil, also about the coolant, i've heard mixed opinions about the type to use, some say to use honda coolant because it has lubricant in it for the water pump, but my mechanic said the normal stuff is fine and you only need honda stuff for the newer cars, anyone have any insight, i'm getting the rad flushed and filled tomorrow