PDA

View Full Version : New from Massachusetts

yellowraccoon
06-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Hey all,
I bought a 1986 Accord Sedan last August and have been driving it pretty much daily ever since. It's not just my first stick-shift, but it's (for all intents and purposes) my first car. I love it to death

I bought it from the original owner--a sweet old lady moving to Florida. Although it's a New England vehicle, it's been garaged every winter since 1992. I got an incredible deal on it, as she sold it to me for only $1000...it has less than 100K miles and practically no rust. Heck, I was taxed for a $2700 car.

The only mechanical problem it had was the front right CV joint went a little while back, but that's all set now. Also, mice got into the vent system (thankfully nothing else) and I'm still fishing the scent out. Lastly, the OEM stereo was broken, but all four speakers work great.

This was my fault...it was my second day with the car and I still had no idea how to drive stick. I'll replace it soon enough.

This was also very much my fault. It was dark and there was 6 inches of unplowed snow on the road and I wanted to get home from work. I destroyed both blinker assemblies, so I replaced them and squished the fender back into place with a pry-bar. I may replace the cracked bumper if it gets worst.

The carburetor has been acting up, so I'll check the vacuum tubes and everything else running in and out of it, but I think I may need a rebuild or replacement somewhere down the road. Other than that, though, everything is shipshape!

Cheers!

conozo
06-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Welcome

If its rust free you should to an underbody coat to prevent future rust. As for the carb, its not unreasonable that it needs rebuilt. There is a weber swap available but im not sure if your state allows that but if not i believe there is a place you can buy a rebuilt factory carb.

87accordlxi
06-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Welcome, and congrats on your first car!

Dr_Snooz
06-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Welcome from California!