PDA

View Full Version : Seat belt safety

stuntjunkie199
06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
I have a 89 LXi that I pretty much drive everyday on the highway at ~75mph so safety in the event of a wreck is kinda important to me as I'm sure it is everyone else.

I've never, since I had the car, had the seat belt "lock up". I tried to make it do so. I've yanked extremely hard on it, slammed on the brakes, etc. and it just won't lock. So I can only assume they would fail to do so in the event of an accident. I would like to get this taken care of ASAP. What could cause this and would a dealer replace this for free? I've heard honda has a lifetime seatbelt warranty but idk if that is the belt only or the whole system. I've searched the threads but I'm not sure I ever found a definite answer or success story of getting them warrantied.

gyates93
06-19-2014, 06:42 AM
I would imagine that a phone call to your local Honda dealer would clear this up!

conozo
06-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Give them a call, they should replace it if they have the same color available. They are out of a few colors.

Oldblueaccord
06-23-2014, 11:34 PM
SCHROTH RACING > Professional Racing Harnesses (http://www.schrothracing.com/engineering)

I used these never looked back.

lostforawhile
06-27-2014, 05:30 PM
I think all thats left is black

2000JDMsi
06-28-2014, 01:36 PM
I had a similar experience and of course the dealership wouldn't do anything about it! I didn't want to bust my bank on the sweat deal they were "willing to do for me". I did find a new one on OEM Honda Parts (http://hondapartsonline.net/). Good luck.

Accordtheory
06-28-2014, 07:41 PM
I have a 89 LXi that I pretty much drive everyday on the highway at ~75mph so safety in the event of a wreck is kinda important to me as I'm sure it is everyone else.

I've never, since I had the car, had the seat belt "lock up". I tried to make it do so. I've yanked extremely hard on it, slammed on the brakes, etc. and it just won't lock. So I can only assume they would fail to do so in the event of an accident.

Do the other seatbelts work properly? I mean can you get them to lock by yanking on them?
I usually get my honda parts from majestichonda.com.

The seatbelt setup on my 87 hatch is the single worst thing about the car. It is a flat out retarded design. With the seatbelts in the doors, the buckles always get slammed in the door by my passengers, and the electric controlled lock function used to randomly kill my battery in a few hours. Until I finally tracked it down and unplugged the stupid thing. The controlled lock thing did work, aggressive driving would lock the belts from what I remember, but it's not really needed, they'll still lock in an actual accident. If I don't sell the car and actually start driving it again, I'm swapping them out to the '86 style, which is like every other car, how they should be.

lostforawhile
06-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Do the other seatbelts work properly? I mean can you get them to lock by yanking on them?
I usually get my honda parts from majestichonda.com.

The seatbelt setup on my 87 hatch is the single worst thing about the car. It is a flat out retarded design. With the seatbelts in the doors, the buckles always get slammed in the door by my passengers, and the electric controlled lock function used to randomly kill my battery in a few hours. Until I finally tracked it down and unplugged the stupid thing. The controlled lock thing did work, aggressive driving would lock the belts from what I remember, but it's not really needed, they'll still lock in an actual accident. If I don't sell the car and actually start driving it again, I'm swapping them out to the '86 style, which is like every other car, how they should be.

I dont think the body with the door belts,has the reinforced mounting holes for the other style of belts.

Dr_Snooz
06-29-2014, 04:52 PM
I dont think the body with the door belts,has the reinforced mounting holes for the other style of belts.

x2. Unless you weld in the '86 B-pillars, you won't be protected.

lostforawhile
06-29-2014, 04:55 PM
x2. Unless you weld in the '86 B-pillars, you won't be protected.
there were some 87's with the traditional belts, I dont know if there was a specific cutoff date, or it went my the particular factory, or what, never been able to figure it out. I guess a universal set of belts for hot rods etc could be welded in, they come with all anchors etc,

Dr_Snooz
06-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Is the mounting hole the only thing they reinforce? I would have thought the B-pillar itself would be reinforced as well. God knows the doors on my coupe sure have a lot of extra steel.

lostforawhile
06-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Is the mounting hole the only thing they reinforce? I would have thought the B-pillar itself would be reinforced as well. God knows the doors on my coupe sure have a lot of extra steel.

the seat tracks were changed to double locking,since the buckle is attached to the seat, the entire door structure was changed, it has that extra catch near the rear edge, since the belt is now attached to the door, I'm sure the door was reinforced for the same reason. seat belts got auto tensioners, which turned out to fail later on, and kill your battery, and they got that annoying infernal overhead beeping console, to remind you about your belts. the traditional belts are just attached to the B pillar like most cars, and attached to the floor pan

gp02a0083
07-02-2014, 04:51 AM
never seen a battery drain from seat-belt re-tractors on 3rd gens in the last 10-12 years..... The chime issues with the over head indicator is usually a problem with the seat indicator. "early" production year 87's had the B pillar seat-belt system that were built in late 86. My 87 hatch was produced mid year and had the door seat belts. If you remove the electrical connector to the retractor you can get them to lock up.

lostforawhile
07-02-2014, 08:47 AM
I forgot on the traditional belts the belt reel is behind the rear inner quarter panel and the door belts it's inside of the door if I remember right, if you want traditional belts there are universal lap shoulder belt sets made that meet dot specs, people put them in classic cars all the time, they just require welding

lostforawhile
07-02-2014, 08:50 AM
RetroBelt USA 2 & 3-Point Retractable Seat Belts and Hardware - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS (http://www.jegs.com/p/Retro-Belt/RetroBelt-USA-2-3-Point-Retractable-Seat-Belts-and-Hardware/1623816/10002/-1)