PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to change just the reverse gear on the 1987 LX 5MT

pajamas95
06-19-2014, 03:50 PM
I talked to my mechanic and he said it sounds like some teeth are stripped off. Is it possible to change just the reverse gear or do I need to put in an entire new manual tranny? That would be expensive...when I checked they cost about $400 for a used one and it is a lot of labor to put one in. I looks like a 6 - 7 hour job to me and I really don't want to set an entire summer weekend aside for this so being able to replace just one gear on the tranny could be easier, right? Thanks for anything guys!

Dr_Snooz
06-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Is it possible to change just the reverse gear

Yes.

But you have to R&R the transmission, plus tear it down completely to get to the gear in question. It's a good time to do a complete overhaul if everything else is working well. When I did mine, the rebuild kit was only ~$150 for all gaskets, seals, bearings and syncros. It might also be a good time to replace the clutch.

pajamas95
06-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Yes.

But you have to R&R the transmission, plus tear it down completely to get to the gear in question. It's a good time to do a complete overhaul if everything else is working well. When I did mine, the rebuild kit was only ~$150 for all gaskets, seals, bearings and syncros. It might also be a good time to replace the clutch.

I might try that then...sounds a lot cheaper than a new (to me) transmission. I only have ~70 miles on my new clutch, so that is not going to be an issue. Thanks for the info Dr_Snooz...you always seem to be the one on these forums with the best answers.

Dr_Snooz
06-21-2014, 09:54 PM
It might be well to check your shift linkage bushings as well. If they are blown to crap, then you might have more trouble getting into the right gear. It's probably not your issue, but is worth checking nonetheless.