PDA

View Full Version : headlight sticks up

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 02:26 PM
usually my right headlight stays up when i close them, wahts the best thing to do to fix it?

i apprecaite the advice/facts :werd:

dXsquared
12-04-2002, 02:36 PM
ME TOO!!!!!!! i am not alone...
anyway... i just leave my lights up 24/7

Travis

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 02:41 PM
but it looks so pimp when they are down :pimp:

dXsquared
12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
i know... i put them down and i didnt even recognize the car!!!!!!

Travis

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 03:17 PM
man that would be cool if someone responded with a good answer to our problems rather then talking about how pimp we are and how gay we are without them

Nospeed
12-04-2002, 03:21 PM
Maybe it might be the motor itself...or there is something restricting the light from going down all the way....

EDIT>>>> either that, or your switch is crapped out....but i think its your motors.

flamed89
12-04-2002, 03:22 PM
dude you guys need new motors. they are directly behind the headlight bolted to the inner fender.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
12-04-2002, 03:41 PM
There are several items you need to inspect.

1. Check the headlight motor switch - next to the dimmer & defroster switch.
2. Check the fuses and relays for the motor.
3. Check for shorts in the harness (unusual unless you have rodent problems)

If all the above are good, then most likely you need new motors. You can find several for sale on Ebay for $40.

Claude

89accordboi
12-04-2002, 04:32 PM
thx for the input!

flamed89
12-04-2002, 07:05 PM
let us know what you find out!

Grant2k
12-04-2002, 09:52 PM
put them up and down manually every time you use them. seond thought, do what ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX said.

AccordEpicenter
12-04-2002, 10:00 PM
if one or the other dont go down its usually because the headlight bucket itself binds when it tries to move and cant, or the motor fuses or switch go bad, the motors themselves rarely go bad, but the wiring and the bucket itself do all the time

89accordboi
12-05-2002, 12:59 PM
i dont want to work it up and down myself im afraid i'll break it

Grant2k
12-05-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 89accordboi
i dont want to work it up and down myself im afraid i'll break it
you know there are knobs to turn them up and down on top of the motors, right?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-05-2002, 02:13 PM
89accordboi,

In order to test whether it is your motor, bucket, or electrical problem, you will need to separate the actuator arm on the motor from the bucket arm. The actuator arm utilizes a ball link for attachment to the bucket. The bucket arm has a plastic cup on it so it is pretty easy to pop it off. Then you could check if the bucket moves freely, that the motor works, or if it is electrical problems. I don't know where the motor connector is, but if u can get to it, check the output on that. Poping the ball link back on can be a pain unless you remove the battery. Try using long pliers for this and don't bend the linkage or you will make your life even more entertaining.

P.S.: Never store any types of rags anywhere near the headlight motors. I learned that the hard way.:banghead: Had a rag "sucked" into the linkage and it bound up. Good thing I noticed it before the motor overheated and burned or I would have had a lot of fun cut out for me with the motor replacement.

Hope this hepls you.

The RUS.:pimp:

Immeraufdemhund
12-05-2002, 02:42 PM
I had to play with my head light today and i can't get it working the way i want it to, but i do know a few things. The motor is just attached with 2 10mm bolts. there's one on the top and then another on the bottom, undo the top one and wiggle the motor that will tell you which of the bottom bolts to loosen. (or you could just remove the entire fuse box) If i remember correctly to take off the arm you have to have something to hold the arm with, then get a 10mm wrench and loosen it. There will be two very small washers, try not to loose them. Before you do any of that though, take off that cap so that you can see the arrow. Try turning it the other way that it is pointing, (which i believe would be counter clockwise). You'll see the light starting to move. If you have a bad fuse you'll hear a click but the motor will not move. If everything is working you'll feel that little knob move back into the original posistion (kinda freaky because you dont know when to expect it, doens't hurt though) try that.