PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Clutch/Brake Kill Switch and other switches FYI - Needs Stickied

TNTumbler
06-28-2014, 06:46 AM
I know many of you here may or may not have Cruise Control on your Accords. Since I've had the car I couldn't figure out for the longest why my Cruise Control wouldn't work. 3 switches and still nothing. After rooting around under my dashboard lately (to replace a rubber stopper/plug) on my 1989 Honda Accord I recently figured out what the problem is and this might be the case for many of you.

1: It is located in plain sight and is a 17mm wrench if needed to be adjusted or removed. It is located on a bracket near the lower end of the dash and should touch the clutch pedal.
2: Reason mine wasn't working (yet to be tested but weather won't cooperate) is because the rubber stopper/plug that goes on the clutch pedal that pushes the switch in to tell the car everything is fine, was missing. The pin of the switch was going through the hole in the clutch pedal assembly where the rubber stopper/plug should be.
3: I for the longest was a tad confused by this switch and thought it was my Clutch/Starter Safety Switch which is located higher up.

*NOTE: On Automatic Accords I'm not sure if its located on a bracket next to the brake light switch or not, haven't tested this theory as there hasn't been any 86-89 Accords in the salvage yard lately.

Now on the Clutch/Safety Starter Switch I've noticed several threads where people are saying their car won't start and 9 out of 10 its a manual shift Accord. Here's a tid bit of info for you.

1: If you own a 1986-88 and some 1989 Honda Accords your clutch/starter safety switch is a 12mm wrench (and NO a deep well socket won't work! NO ROOM! And not much for a wrench either) Now if your 1989 Honda Accord is anything like mine (a bit of a Japanese Hybrid from the factory) it might have the same switch as a Prelude which requires a 14mm wrench and has a different style plug (two ridges on the bottom not flat like the others) and NO the two aren't interchangeable.
2: 9 out of 10 the reason your Accord won't start isn't because the switch has gone bad! Its because the rubber stopper/plug has deteriorated and fallen apart as mine did and was laying in 7 pieces across the driver floorboard. Here's the scoop and should make it easy for a lot of you to replace.
3: This rubber plug is a bit figgity to replace. Took 2 hands, Japanese Contortionist maneuvers, and a lot of swearing but I got it done. You have to get one hand in around the fuse box, up and over the starter safety switch and find the hole with your fingers on the top of your clutch pedal arm. Then from the bottom come up with your other hand with the rubber stopper/plug (and here's where it gets tricky) and give the plug to your other hand to place in said hole. Push your clutch pedal in to hold the plug in place against the switch. Slowly move the pedal back out and slip your finger between the plug and switch and repress the clutch gently and the plug should pop right in place before smashing fingers.

Now here's the good thing about this li'l Rubber Stopper/Plug. They came on the following cars and are the same teal blue colored rubber plug as your 86-89 Accord.
1986-2001 Honda Accord 5 speeds
1986-1991 Honda Prelude 5 speeds (not sure on the last generation Prelude as I haven't found a manual shift to confirm this)
1988-2000 Honda Civic, CRX, Del Sol 4 and 5 speeds
1998-2001 Honda CR-V manuals
Note: Civics are the easiest to get to, 1986-89 Accords get a bit dasterdly as you'll notice they are located high in the dash.

I've replaced all three of my Switch Rubber Stoppers/Plugs from locating these on salvage cars. SO this is a MUST GRAB on my list when I go to a salvage yard. Found out the local dealer wants $3 bux for ONE! OUCH!

Hope this helps y'all 3G Accord fans!

lostforawhile
06-28-2014, 11:30 AM
on early carb cars the switch is just a signal for the carburetor control unit, and has nothing to do with starting, they have no clutch safety switch interlock, I have the 86 electrical troubleshooting manual so I will have to compare to the 89 manual.

TNTumbler
06-28-2014, 02:04 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/29/6y3y4enu.jpg

I was mainly referring to replacing these guys on the Accord. Wasn't trying to get technical about electrical parts.

Dr_Snooz
06-29-2014, 06:21 PM
All that clutch safety stuff got added on after '87. Since I swapped from AT to MT, I don't have any of it on my '89. Sorta wish I did though.

TNTumbler
06-30-2014, 07:50 AM
There is two Honda Accord Liftbacks at Pull-A-Part. A 1986 and a 1988, and both Japanese built units. Both had the Starter Safety Switch (albeit neither are like my 1989 Accord). I confirmed this before replying as I still have my destroyed 1986 Honda Accord LX-i 5MT. Its build date is 01/86. The 1986 Liftback in Pull-A-Part build date is 09/85. Dr Snooz your car being an original Automatic should have had the electronic box starter safety switch which when the car was in Park would tell the car things are ok to start. I know being a conversion somehow you have to go around that so not having the switch on the clutch pedal is a PITA.

The li'l Teal Plugs can be found on both the Brake and Clutch Pedals of most cars mentioned above, most of the ones I have in the picture came from 1998-2000 Civics as they are in the best of shape compared to the older ones that have a few years of decay and use on them.

Now, its on to the next problem my 89 Accord is having. Battery Drain issues. This started ever since I put the damn dash back together after replacing the plug for the Starter Safety Switch. Ugh!

gp02a0083
06-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Usually those little rubber parts ten to crumble after so many years, in my case it did. If you are in a pinch you can use a plastic body mount clip.

TNTumbler
07-01-2014, 08:04 PM
I was using a small screw with a nut for my brake light. LoL I keep around 10 of them plugs in the car now.

I finally tested my Cruise Control and it now works, and very well I will add, since replacing those plugs.

charliekuney
07-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Just wanted to add that both of my 1989 LX-i coupes had clutch safety switches, but neither of my 1988 LX-i coupes did.