PDA

View Full Version : what are syptoms of ... ?

ACCORD EX
12-05-2002, 01:15 PM
i just want to know what are the symptoms of the following :

1. worn lower balljoints
2. worn upper balljoints
3. worn tie rod ends
4. worn springs
5. worn shocks

i am not talkin about ripped boots or free play ! but the what it feels on the road !

answer any of these and i 'll collect them into a FAQ called suspension trouble shooting !

MIKE

SiR
12-05-2002, 02:01 PM
Shocks: they just keep bouncing after hitting a bump. Tie-rods: your driving along straight but the wheel moves a little to the left and a little to the right. Nothing to make the car tuen by it self too much. Im not sure about the ball joints. But all the parts to mentioned, the best way to check them is to physicaly and check for "play".

Rooz

AccordEpicenter
12-05-2002, 02:25 PM
if you have bad ball joints the car can have a loose feel to it, kinda numb

pmip
12-05-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
if you have bad ball joints the car can have a loose feel to it, kinda numb

Also, there can be a clanking coming from them as they move.

anchovies
12-05-2002, 03:15 PM
Worn springs - you sometimes can hear squeeks. It most probably breaks at the bottom or top or both and rubbing on each other.

socal3rdgen
12-05-2002, 03:30 PM
how hard is it to replace the ball joints. :banghead: i know i got to do it.

Mantis88LX
12-05-2002, 03:57 PM
yea i gotta replace my passneger side.

the worn upper balljoint on mine makes a metal to metal sound when i turn the steering wheel while moving (like turn left and then back right while moving staight) also the camber will look off compared to the other side.

ACCORD EX
12-06-2002, 12:58 PM
thanx for all the inputs guys !

but what about the upper ball joint ! i just can't figure out it 's symptoms ! ?

MIKE

anchovies
12-06-2002, 02:11 PM
Upper joint, you just need to grab it and check for play. And check if the boot has broken. Don't know of any symptoms that would let you know if it's bad.

ACCORD EX
12-07-2002, 01:53 PM
how do you know if your car can have alignment in the back ! or all cars need that !

thanx A lot for help !

MIKE

cruznz
12-07-2002, 06:21 PM
i think they call that,..Tracking....excessive rear tyre wear is a symptom

luis1578
12-07-2002, 06:57 PM
Our accords take a full 4 wheel alignment.Because it has a rear independent suspension. As far as the upper ball joint,when you hit a pot hole you will feel the whole wheel moving. You can jack it up and shake the wheel and if you get a lot of play than you need to change them. I just changed my upper ball joints over the summer. When you buy the ball joint it comes with the upper control arm as well. Its only 3 nut and a pin you can't loose.

AccordEpicenter
12-07-2002, 09:08 PM
Yeah my car pulled hard left and it turned out the front wasnt out of alignment at all, the rears were badly messed up in the toe measurements... go figure

Cobraman15
12-07-2002, 10:48 PM
my dad had an 85 caprice classic station wagon with bad shocks. If you hit a nice bump the car went down the rest of the street like it was a rap video. I felt like such a baller :D