PDA

View Full Version : cold starts...

maka_RTH
12-05-2002, 02:53 PM
i first noticed this last night(seeing as ii've only had the car a few days...) when i start my car and it's nice and cold out, it turnsover, starts, then it immediately stops running. it does this a few times, then finally it starts and i'm off. is it the plugs? or the wires? cap and rotor? right now i'm kinda low on money(just replaced fuel pump). i checked the plugs monday, looked like normal wear...

anchovies
12-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Sounds like fuel. Try turning the key to ON position and back down numerous times (back it down when you hear the fuel relay click) and then crank it, see what happens.

1988starter
12-05-2002, 04:16 PM
Try replacing your fuel filter or cleaning your injectors.

maka_RTH
12-06-2002, 12:04 AM
it might be the injectors, i just did the pump and the filter yesterday. should i just get some of the fuel injection cleaner stuff you put in with your gas? i've gotta fill up this weekend, and what kind should i get? there's like fifty different kinds, and i've only used the stuff once on my last accord.

1988starter
12-06-2002, 06:21 AM
I would go with lucas brand if you cannot find that stp

87DXHatch
12-06-2002, 11:35 PM
I use seafoam and that works great for me

HostileJava
12-07-2002, 07:07 AM
Could be frozen water in your gas line. Add dry gas with Isoprol (Think I spelled that right).

maka_RTH
12-07-2002, 04:29 PM
i'm not sure what it was, but it seems to have stopped. it only happened the day i changed my fuel pump and filter..., and then once the next day. it hasn't happened since. maybe it had to work some air out of the fuel system after i fixed it?

Greg
12-08-2002, 11:16 AM
You should do what someone else said about turning the key to the on position before you start it.

When you turn the key to on, the EFI light goes on, and it pressurizes your fuel system (well, I read this online here from someone else. I think it's right).

So you should turn your key to on, let the EFI light go on, put it to off, back to on, wait til efi light comes on and goes out, and THEN start your car.

I do this w/ my gf's LXI, and it seems to hold idle better for the first 30 seconds. I think if you don't you may not get adequate fuel pressure, and then maybe your injectors don't deliver enough fuel and your car stalls.

rocky2
12-08-2002, 11:39 AM
How low was fuel level? 3-g's don't have the most accurate fuel gauge's. Some time when you do a fuel pump the pickup strainer in not in place right, then when your a tad low this happens.

maka_RTH
12-08-2002, 01:38 PM
i was pretty much full, but like i said, it hasn't happened since then...