PDA

View Full Version : Overheating/no heat?

88' Accord Ltd
12-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Ok so i have a bit of a problem here with my accord. Its a carbed 86. Anyways, there is a hose i have and it has a little hole and coolant is leaking out of it, but thats not my problem...i think. Well I was driving home to pick up my wallet I had forgotten so i just left my car running in the driveway and when i came back the temp gauge was at maximum and I had cold air blowing out??? The temperatue slider was on the hot because it was heating up before i returned home. Well I started to drive again and the engine began to cool down and the air that was coming from the vents became hot again! Now whenever Im at an idle my car blows cold air! I have no idea what the problem could be. I'm going to replace the leaky hose tomorrow to see if that helps but Im not getting my hopes up. Any ideas what it couild be? Thanks.

bobafett
12-05-2002, 03:45 PM
if youre temps are all the way up then u need to check the thermostat near the radiator for the fans. also check your fan fuses, i had a fircken 15A fuse that kept my fans from coming on for 2 years! it was that simple/// i dont know what to tell you as far as no heat coming out!

88' Accord Ltd
12-05-2002, 03:49 PM
I was thinking the thermostat at first too, i just bought a brand new one about a month ago and installed it with no problems. But I dont think its opening all the way...The hose thats coming from the top of the rad to the thermostat gets a big ass buldge in it after sometime of driving. Its like the coolant is getting backed up there...

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
12-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Thats the first thing i was gonna say to check was the thermostat too when i saw the no heat....

flamed89
12-05-2002, 04:51 PM
i'm not real sure of an answer to your prob,but i know when you change coolant if you get a vapor lock(an air bubble that blocks coolant flow)the heater won't blow hot air. hope this helps some.
good luck

88' Accord Ltd
12-05-2002, 05:20 PM
maybe ill try to bleed the system, thanks. Does anyone think it could be a problem with the headgasket at all?

88' Accord Ltd
12-05-2002, 06:43 PM
Ok so i went and bled the cooling system and there was a bunch of white foam coming out. Does anyone know what causes that? Do i have a whole bunch of air in there?

1988starter
12-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 88' Accord Ltd
maybe ill try to bleed the system, thanks. Does anyone think it could be a problem with the headgasket at all?

If your oil looks like chochlate milk your head gasket is gone.

shepherd79
12-06-2002, 05:05 AM
ok, well first of all read what he had to say first. he has a hole some where where the coolant leaks out. well, when you idle coolant preasure builds up, so coolant will escape through that hole. after a while you won't have anycoolant left and that is why you are blowing cold air. FIX THE HOLE and you should have no problem.

88' Accord Ltd
12-06-2002, 06:42 AM
Ok so last night I checked the thermostat for the sake of checking it and found that it was stuck half open! I replaced it and coolant flows as it should. I found that there was a coolant line that goes straight to the back of the carb and that hose that was hooked to a checkvalve like thing in line of the hose and it was broken. When i touched it the hose and the thing it was connected to, it fell right on the ground! lol. Well I bypassed the valve so coolant flows all the time temporarily until I can go to the junkyard and get another one. After I bypassed that valve and bled the system again, the foaminess went away a lot. Thanks for all the help.