PDA

View Full Version : Electric window problems on 1989 Accord SEI

Forrest
07-02-2014, 10:15 PM
I gave my old 89 Accord SEI, two door, to my son about 7 years ago but never got out of the job of having to fix it. The odometer is up to 266,000 miles.
The windows have never been all that speedy but are the pits now. Add to that, the driver's exterior door handle just broke and he has to open it from the passenger side, reach over, unlock and push it open. The passenger window works but is as slow as STP on a cold day. The driver's window got messed up by a good old boy working for AAA. My son locked his keys in the car, called them and the guy just pried the top of the window out far enough to reach in and unlock the door. It has never rolled up correctly since.
Naturally, my son didn't tell me about it when it happened so that I could file a claim with them.

He says that the driver's window just quit all together and has to leave it up. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and just buying new regulators with motors for both sides.
After looking all over the web and sorting through what's for sedans and what's for coupes and hatchbacks I have seen some designations for two and four wire connectors.
I wonder if anybody can clue me in on what it uses. I know I should just tear the doors apart and take a look-see but it's hard enough getting the car away from him long enough to do an oil change.
I was wondering if the passenger side uses the two wire connector and the driver's side the four wire since it has the auto control thing and what not.
It would be nice to order the parts, have them and be done with the job in one day.

Has anybody been there, done that? Any and all replies appreciated.

Regards,
Forrest

Dr_Snooz
07-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Looking at the schematic in the manual (http://geminiwebhosting.ca/1989AccordServiceManual.pdf), the driver's window is the only four wire motor, which I presume is to accommodate the auto-down feature. Too bad you can't find a regulator sans motor. Then you could just swap the old motor over.

Be prepared to find additional damage, like bent or deformed window tracks and weatherstrip that you'll have to bend/hammer straight, etc.

It's possible that some simple bending and adjustment will fix the problem without buying a new regulator, but there's bound to be a lot of wear on the old regulator and replacing it would definitely be good preventive maintenance.

Finish up the job by adjusting the regulator properly and shooting the window tracks with silicone dry lube. See this link for more info: http://www.3geez.com/forum/how/79312-fix-your-slow-windows.html

Forrest
07-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the reply and advice. The passenger side is working, just slow. I guess I'll just try to clean, lube and rehab that side. I just now ordered the regulator/motor assembly for the driver's side from this place:
Discount Body Parts | Electric Window Motors (http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/?Ntt=Electric%20Window%20Motors&&Ns=price3|0)
I forgot all about the plug situation and now see that they say that it is a two wire plug.
My son is home and I have access to the car. I guess I'll start ripping the panel off of the driver's door and see if I need to cancel this order or not.

Thanks,
Forrest

Oldblueaccord
07-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the reply and advice. The passenger side is working, just slow. I guess I'll just try to clean, lube and rehab that side. I just now ordered the regulator/motor assembly for the driver's side from this place:
Discount Body Parts | Electric Window Motors (http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/?Ntt=Electric%20Window%20Motors&&Ns=price3|0)
I forgot all about the plug situation and now see that they say that it is a two wire plug.
My son is home and I have access to the car. I guess I'll start ripping the panel off of the driver's door and see if I need to cancel this order or not.

Thanks,
Forrest

I bought new regulators. The motors are permenate magnets type and get weak over time.

The cheaper 4 door ones will work in 2 door models you will have to mix and match your old slides with the new one to make it work. Lay them out next to each other you will see the differance.