PDA

View Full Version : My hood release doesn't work

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 04:50 PM
My hood release doesn't work... it feels like there's no tension on the wire. I felt behind the plastic piece and the wire is wrapped around it, it feels.

How do I fix this?

Also, I tried grabbing the wire with a pliers and pulling on it, and that didn't work, either.

Thanks!

LIL'LXi
12-05-2002, 06:28 PM
mine is the same way,but i can reach behind my lever and grab the cable and pull it to open my hood. by the way i see by your sig you got the sei, congrats. if i were closer i would take the '87 off your hands

88WhiteLX-i
12-05-2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah mine's broken, it's most likey the thing that you pull broke and not your cable. I have to buy a new one, or grab one from the junkyard. It only took me about 2 days to struggle the hood open.. LOL

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Heh, thanks for posting this in Technical... I'm too used to the Car Audio Forum, where you post 99% of everything in General!

Hopefully I can get better help in here! :wave:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-06-2002, 02:09 PM
Basically you could remove the actuating lever in the dash and see if that is your problem(attached by a bolt to a metal bracket begind the dash). If not, it could be pretty tough to get your hood open. Maybe you could try to use a screw driver in the slot under the grill and try to move the mechanism. Most likely however it is your plastic actuator arm inside the car. You could probably pull from the junkyard pretty easily.

AZmike
12-06-2002, 02:56 PM
When my release wasn't working well here's what I did to make it work: I pulled the lever once all the way then went outside and pulled the hood up (it didn't really move). When I went back and pulled the lever again it would usually work. Since then I greased the hinge/release mechanism and now it works fine the first time.

87DXHatch
12-06-2002, 03:35 PM
Yeah, that's how I get it up, only I just bang on the hood right at the release and it works after a couple tries. I sprayed the whole mechanism with WD-40 and that didn't do anything, so I think I'll try and lube it up tomorrow.

What grease do I use on it?

Thanks

AZmike
12-06-2002, 04:27 PM
I use Valvoline semi-synthetic grease. I got 16 ounces for about $3. The stuff has worked great for lots of jobs. One tub will last a long time.

johndej
12-07-2002, 11:23 AM
glad you got it open, i've got a diff prob though. i can get my hood open fine, but it won't shut all the way (last time i had to sit on it to get it to finnaly close right). any one know what i should do to get it to close easier, i've tried WD40 and cleaned off all the shit around the clips.

Tim Yoak
12-08-2002, 05:59 PM
:chainsaw: :gay: If your hood won't close, check the alignment of the hood striker with the catch. The catch has adjustments to move it. also check to make sure your hood is aligned properly. There are four bolts to adjust it. If this doesn't work you may have to replace the catch in front of the radiator

johndej
12-08-2002, 07:15 PM
ok, thanks Tim Yoak, i'll check that when it gets a little warmer and the snow melts a little more (just had to check my oil a day ago and it didn't work quite right). it looked like it was lined up pritty good from what i remember, but i'll get a good look at it next time.

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2002, 10:08 PM
One time i had a cable break on me and i got it off by removing the front bumper and then getting some pliers up into where the cable was and grabbing the cable (what was left of it) and pulling it to get it open.