PDA

View Full Version : how a thief looks at your alarm, (to protect your car)

lostforawhile
07-05-2014, 05:21 AM
As a former old school installer, who was certified by many alarm companies back in the 90's, I wanted to pass on some tips as I remember them, I happened to be thinking of them, when I was working on my wiring, so my knowledge is your gain, and a thief's loss(hopefully)

First is an old school trick that many thieves use, and I'm sure still use to disable your alarm, it's so simple that no one thinks of it. Most cheaper alarms, and even some good alarms, have a fatal flaw, the power that operates your marker lights to make them flash, is the same power that operates the brain. How do they disable your alarm? the smart thieves will do one of two things, they will smash a plastic corner light or side marker, the quiet ones will simply take out the screws, and stuff a wad of tin foil, chewing gum wrapper etc, into the bulb socket, then casually kick your car and walk away, as soon as the alarm sounds, the fuse for the brain blows, then they watch to see if anyone shows up. ALWAYS give your parking light flash it's own power, and isolate it from the brain with a relay.

Protect your battery, and add a backup battery. Another easy trick which will damage your car in the process, but a thief won't care, is if a stock battery is up front, they will walk by and jam a big screw driver through your fender into the battery, fender sheet metal is thin, and so is the metal on most cars, if it wont work through the fender they will shove it through the grill, battery electrolyte leaks out, and the battery is dead. They come back, and if no one has disturbed anything, they get to work stealing what they want.

backup battery's for alarms are cheap insurance. get one. If you have a stock battery, get some pieces of 1/8 steel plate and strap them to the battery facing to the outside, thats enough to stop most attempts.

siren location, Why in the world would anyone put a siren where it's easy to access and disable? On most Hondas there is that big space between the fender and bumper, you can still direct the sound out, but it's not where a thief expects it to be. If you have the option of horn honk, use it. it's much harder for a thief to disable your horn in addition to the siren, also like the parking light, isolate the siren with a relay, if it's a 12 volt in, as most alarms are, if they find the siren and cut the wire, it will still short out the alarm, possibly disabling it.

I'll add more later, wanted to post a couple of tips for today

Dr_Snooz
07-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Good stuff! Thanks!