PDA

View Full Version : tune-up

89accordboi
12-05-2002, 09:13 PM
if my car is kinda running crappy like making a knocking noise would a tune up help... what all will a tune up help... replacing spark plugs wires rotor cap, what all will that help?

shepherd79
12-06-2002, 04:59 AM
nope, you would have to take it a machanic unless you know how to adjust the valve.

2old_honda
12-06-2002, 07:54 AM
knocking or tapping? if it sounds like knocking from inside the engine then you should check your timing.
If it is tapping from inside the valve cover then you need to adjust your valves.

89accordboi
12-06-2002, 01:55 PM
well just to be safe i'll have some other place do it the first time so i dont mess up, they replace spark plugs, distributor cap, rotors and they do valve adjustments so the valve adjustment i THINK is what i need, oh yeah and they also check/fix the timing... they do that for $90 so i guess thats ok

2old_honda
12-06-2002, 06:09 PM
if you have old plug wires make sure they replace those also.

1988starter
12-11-2002, 02:49 PM
OK here is what is in a proper tune up

New filters PCV air fuel and oil 2 fuel for carb 1 for efi

New O2 sensor

throttle body cleaning or carb cleaning use a spray and brush not a fuel additive.

Check your timing and check valves

oil change

new wires NGK are good

new plugs anything but split fire

cap rotor

that should be about it also check your egr valve and manifold for leaks.

89accordboi
12-11-2002, 06:56 PM
my mom took my car in to a Honda/Acura repair shop place for me (i wanted to go but i was in skool) and the guy said that i may not evn need a tune up... and he called later and said the PCV hose is broken and the valves are way out of adjustment, so hes going to take care of those for $57. i will get my car back tommorow, i hope it idles a lot better and quieter now.