PDA

View Full Version : water pump can be replaced without accessing/removing timing belt, right?

derolph
07-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I am getting close to a timing belt, belt tensioner, and crankshaft & camshaft seal replacement. I seem to have not been thinking clear with regard to the water pump. I have a 4th gen Accord and, like many cars, replacing the water pump requires removing the timing belt cover, etc. But, this is not the case with 3rd gen Accords, right? In other words, the water pump on them can be replaced without removing the timing belt cover. Therefore, I don't need to be concerned about not replacing the water pump at the same time the timing belt is replaced. Is this correct?

Edit: I have a Haynes manual and it says nothing about removing the timing cover and doing anything at all with the timing belt when replacing the water pump. This is on page 3-6 of the manual. Just seeking confirmation on this from experienced 3rd owners.

2drSE-i
07-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Yes it can be done without removing the lower timing cover, but one of the bolts does have to come out. It's a pain, but it can be done.

derolph
07-08-2014, 02:03 PM
So, is that one bolt behind the lower timing cover?

niles
07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah the timing cover bolt threads directly into the water pump if I remember correctly. I've replaced mine without touching the timing belt. But like2drSE-i said, very difficult since hands don't really fit down there

You may want to consider at least removing the timing cover for the pump replacement

Hazwan
07-09-2014, 05:18 AM
It can be done but it can be a pain and careful not to drop any bolts into the timing cover