PDA

View Full Version : cross drilled rotors and performance brake pads

marc49
05-17-2002, 05:11 PM
Because I am a lazy ass, I would like to know what are the makers of cross drilled rotors for my DX accord? also what are the top 3 brake pads?? where can I get them the cheapest at?? thanks in advance..

guaynabo89
05-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Brembo, powerstop, as far as pads go its all about preferance bro:D

I got kvr carbon fiber pads. They kinda suck when they're cold but stop great when they're hot. Plus they don't put out any brake dust.

88LXi68
05-17-2002, 09:00 PM
Marc - Why not upgrade to the bigger LXi-SEi brakes first? Just a thought

marc49
05-17-2002, 09:10 PM
if I had the money to upgrade, I would upgrade to big brake's.. since I don't ahve the money and need brakes and since the last ones went WAY TOO fast, I am going to lean toward the performance side this time....

ACCORD EX
05-18-2002, 12:03 AM
get the genuine pads ! they last pretty long time with me ! :)

MIKE

GDGuy11B
05-18-2002, 08:28 PM
with cross drilled rotors, you need something a little better then genuine pads.

marc49
05-18-2002, 08:29 PM
Ok, I am thinking of going with the EBC greenstuff brakepads..

but on the rotors, it's either brembo, powerslot, EBC, but I need to know which one is the best/worst? And where is the cheapest place to get them damnit :)

help me jim ;) :stick:

Jims 86LXI HB
05-18-2002, 10:39 PM
Well marc you can get the same slotted/dimpled brembo's I got, for only $50 each. They avoid the cracking issues of drilled rotor's by being partially drilled or dimpled. They are by a guy that own's a shop in LA called race concepts. Here's his email address.
[email protected] One thing you need to know is that rotor's that have been altered this this, accelerate pad wear. Your pads will have a shorter life then plain rotor's would. That is part of the reason I have lot's of brake dust, in spite of having EBC pads

I'am very please with the performance of the rotor's and the EBC pads. I got the pads from thetirerack.com I can say that on several occations I have tested them enough that when I parked the car the brakes were smoking.:D They have lived up to their billing, being fade free and I still haven't managed to warp them,....yet.:rolleyes:

Oh, btw here's the phone number to call race concepts
(714) 547-3581

ACCORD EX
05-18-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by GDGuy11B
with cross drilled rotors, you need something a little better then genuine pads.

thnx micah for explaining because i was like that :rolleyes: ! D:

MIKE

Afrosheen
05-19-2002, 11:22 PM
I'd say go with the EBC's also. I read something recently in SCC about those pads. They had an RSX shootout and the FAL RSX had those pads with default rotors/calipers. It had the shortest stopping distance of any car and they said the pads refused to fade under heavy driving.

AccordChemist
05-20-2002, 05:28 PM
stay away from EBC, get some AEM pads...unless you dont care about brake dust, get EBC, cause they do grip really good and last long but they create hella brake dust, TRUST ME, they do. ALOT.

marc49
05-21-2002, 03:11 PM
so if I go with just ebc pads and normal rotors, I will still get improved braking but they would last longer than normal pads on normal rotors??

And jim, why did you choose EBC over AEM pads?

AccordChemist
05-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by marc49
so if I go with just ebc pads and normal rotors, I will still get improved braking but they would last longer than normal pads on normal rotors??

yes...but you will have more brake dust...trust me ive had them on my car for awhile now...but that doesnt really matter if you dont have rims....

p.s. i can post pics this weekend to prove how dirty my rims get from brake dust so fast....

Jims 86LXI HB
05-21-2002, 11:43 PM
And jim, why did you choose EBC over AEM pads?

Good question marc, here's why. I went with them because of comments I've read at the SCCA autocrossing/racing web site and from the focus forum I belong to. They are very well liked and admired at both sites. And both these groups mention the brake dust issue, so I knew about that in advance. I thought about the AEM pads, but felt that I would go with the popular opinion of a group of people that tend to drive as aggressively as me. And as a added plus, the tirerack can get things to me from their reno location the next day if I call in the am.

Hope that helps marc,

Jim C.