PDA

View Full Version : replaced distributor, got a question

doug
12-06-2002, 07:46 AM
I installed a new distributor this morning and when I removed the old one I noticed a small stream of oil had been leaking from the head where the distributor housing slides into the head. The O-ring on the old distributor was flat so I guess it was leaking by that O-ring. Oil had somehow also found its way into the distributor housing. I looked in my manual and could only see a seal for the cam gear end of the camshaft/head so I am assuming that having oil in the small distributor bay (for lack of better word) in the head is OK and that the new O-ring will keep the oil from leaking externally. Am I correct? Or is having oil in the area were the distributer housing mates to the head a sign of a problem with the head/camshaft? And why the heck did oil leak into the distributor? Thanks for any help.

AZmike
12-06-2002, 12:38 PM
You're right, the o-ring is what keeps the oil from leaking and having some oil where the two parts mate is normal.

Have you checked your timing with the new distributor?

Tim Yoak
12-06-2002, 05:01 PM
:cool: the oil leaking from the cyl head is a very common problem with this engine, if it is leaking from where the distributor goes into the head. tip/ get the o ring from the dealer it is cheap and it is the correct ring. the oil leaking inside the distributor means that the internal oil seal is leaking. from wat i'm told the distributor can't be rebuilt. I keep an extra o ring in the glove compartment. another common leak is at the valve cover gasket. if you have this leak and don't fix it , can cause a fire!

cruznz
12-06-2002, 09:22 PM
with access to right tools,....availability of correct size seal and bearing,...you can rebuild them.....but ,..my 1 was outta my B20A (with no vacum diaphram),...so dont know if its the same as yours,...shaft needed to be pressed out to replace oil seal,...also meant knew bearing..my hassle was finding the right bearing for it

DanG86LX
12-07-2002, 10:06 PM
doug>>> "having oil in the small distributor bay"
I assume u meant where the coupling piece is.. certainly OK.
But that "..oil had somehow also found its way into the distributor housing." ???
Well there is a bearing and a seal cruznz mentioned about.. the weird thing is looking from the cam shaft, first comes the seal and then the bearing so the last doesn't get the oil..
I took apart 3 distributors so far (including the one on my car) but when i got to the bearing, left it on the shaft cuz it seemed good. Also the seal seemed to be part of the bearing, a plastic thingy between the runners, no obvious way to take it out/replace..
But oil could leak behind the seal-bearing into distributor housing, stay there for years till drying up which i suspect is the source of the red dust found in dist.
And then there is the mystery draining hole on the lower dist. bracket (carb). But when oil leaks through that, the dist. must be at least 1/4 full of oil! Honda's design?:werd:

doug
12-07-2002, 10:33 PM
thanks for all the replies. I have set the timing. I noticed that hole and figured it was to keep condensation problems at a minimum inside the distributor housing by allowing for some heated fresh air exchange, but it may be to drain oil. I still get a small misfire happening, I replaced the coil, cap and rotor, have wireset that is not even 3 months old, gonna adjust valve clearance in the morning. I'm chasing a misfire problem and was hoping that a new ignition-electrical component update would have it smooth, but not yet. I really hate the feeling I get when I install stuff that should solve a problem and it doesn't. I end up telling myself the car probably needed the stuff anyway but that don't help much.

Tim Yoak
12-08-2002, 08:37 AM
: rolleyes: I have the same misfire problem, pulling my hair out trying to fix it, The hole in the distributor is for air, and the brown dust is caused by the cap and rotor breaking down from electrical discharge. This is normal, Also check the seal between the cap and the distributor housing. This can cause moisture to enter the cap and cause a misfire. One more tip, after working on hondas for 15 years, I have yet to find an aftermarket dis rotor that fits properly. looks right, wrong clearance, doesn't work right. I think there is one company that sells them to all of the auto parts stores. One of them was looser on the shaft then pamela anderson :barf: (bad pun) The difference between the factory rotor and the aftermarket was almost .0007 of an inch.

87DXHatch
12-08-2002, 10:12 AM
What do you recommend for a rotor then? just go OEM?

DanG86LX
12-08-2002, 10:28 AM
I must agree, distr. hole could be for air, since vacuum advance diaphragm needs atmospheric pressure inside the distr. But from what i've seen on my car or junk-yard, there are always traces of oil coming from that hole. When the oil ring seems to be ok check the mystery hole too.

Dutchboy
12-08-2002, 11:23 AM
i have the same missfire crap too....did everything all youve done...spent money on usless things that didnt make it one bit better...
on monday im doing a vacuum test on it and going to see if the intake is leaking and if the advance and all other vacuum components are working proper....i also am going to use some carb clean hopefully to sort this problem...

then i have to fix the rear main seal leak and whatever the clunk is in the steering and gut the cat and get new wheel bearings...merry christmas to the 3gee!!!!!

take care all ...
*frustrated*
Ben

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2002, 10:21 PM
On my lxi ive been chasing a little uneven half miss that happens occasionally... have you guys had any luck with anything?

Greg
12-13-2002, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I too am chasing a half-miss on my G/F's LXI. Actually, I haven't messed with it in a while.

Last time I checked the coil, wires, and plugs were OK. Maybe the plugs could be a little better, but I have some experience with Hondas and I've seen too many that ran smooth with a little plug wear to think that her slightly worn plugs would cause the half-miss.

I changed the fuel filter and it sort-of made it a little better/less pronounced.

As far as I can tell, there is no vacuum leak.

I adjusted the valve lash in the Spring, did a t-belt over the summer, and checked the timing in the late-summer, setting it exactly to spec.

But still I get the idle drop/half miss about every 2 seconds at warm idle.

Maybe there is a manifold leak or something? If anyone finds anything to cure their miss, let us know!

BTW, my carbed 87 runs VERY smooth when warmed up. It idles at about 900. I changed the wire set recently, and you can't ever hear ANY falter in the idle. I love that. I sound crazy, but I love hearing my car (with 235K miles!) idle with absolutely no hesitation, stutter, or falter. AND THEN I GET SO ANNOYED AND FRUSTRATED whenever I drive my G/F's 86 LXI and hear that little falter every 2 seconds!

88lxDCOE
12-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Mine has the same little falter. I would love to stop it. let us know.

Dutchboy
12-15-2002, 10:38 AM
i just pulled the distributor of my car the other day and there was oil in the little bay between the mating of the cam and distributor....SO this is normal?????? i dont see why oil should be there .....its got nowhere to go ?? or does it ...???

im goign to try to get a replacement distributor and see if my missfire will cure,.....im doing a vaccuum test this week at the shop and hopefully i find the cure...

BEn

Tim Yoak
12-15-2002, 03:52 PM
:pimp: the oil on the end the cam is normal, the o ring on the distributor is supossed to keep it from escaping past the distributor

rocky2
12-16-2002, 07:09 AM
Greg,
See if the throttle body is clean,just behind the plate sometimes carbon builds up causing a misfire. (chokes air)

Greg
12-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Rocky2,

Yeah, it's definitely a good idea. I've been meaning to do it since I've read about others doing it, and it doesn't cost money (cleaning repairs are my favorite because they're just the cost of a spray can usually).

I've been lazy about doing it on my G/F's LXI because it's been cold and I have been rigging/playing around w/my carb on my own 87LX. Then last weekend I agreed to fix my neighbor's hood latch on her old Tercel (she just had a baby and doesn't have time/money to deal with this stuff so I was being a nice guy). Anyway, my ass was out in the cold on the street for 2 hours with my hand fishing underneath the bumper to undo shit to take off the grill so I could unbolt the latch since the cable was rusted solid -- real pain in my ass.

I was hunting all kinds of stuff last time I tried to chase the miss. I checked my injector resistor and the resistance at each injector and some other stuff. I think something with the distributor is a little off (maybe reluctor is slightly out of position or something).

But I'll clean out the TB before I start going after other stuff. You're right, and it's easy.