PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Noise?

Janiel
12-06-2002, 11:13 AM
My antenna sounds really bad when i try to lower it? It sounds like gears are skiping and the antenna won't go up or down and were is the motor located at so i can take a look at it. Thanx for the help.

ACCORD EX
12-06-2002, 12:48 PM
check this thread >
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9687

and ask there if you need anything !

MIKE

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Janiel,

here is another thread you could look at for Accord EX's pics of the antenna motor and its internals:

wooooooooooohoooooo ! antenna fixed ! (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10260)

If the noise you are hearing sounds like click...click...click...click, then your antenna may be bound up. This means that it really needs to be oiled. Also make sure it is not kinked. If all checks out, try to help the motor with your hand a couple of times by sliding the antenna in and out as you work the switch so that the previously applied oil is worked into the assembly. Read through the thread that Accord EX posted and you will find out why it clicks (kinda a lengthy explanation, am a little too lazy to retype one of my previous essays, oops I mean posts :tongue: ).

And as Accord EX said, if you come up with any questions, post it and we'll try to help. :stick:

Hope this helps you.

The RUS. :pimp:

88' Accord Ltd
12-06-2002, 01:50 PM
My power antenna used to make the click click click noise when it got to the point where it couldnt go out or in anymore. Thats how I knew it was done lol. I never got around to fixing it or looking at it though. I just left my antenna down.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-06-2002, 02:04 PM
88' Accord Ltd,

Your antenna is working perfectly. The clicking you hear is perfectly normal because the motor has a tension mechanism that prevents it from pushing or pulling the antenna beyond the limits of it's travel. The clicking noise that you hear means that the antenna is fully extended/retracted and the tension mechanism has been actuated and is simply ratcheting inside the spool. Pefectly normal. More modern antennas have resistance meters/sensors, or maybe elctronic limiters in the motors so you never hear them clicking. Older cars were less sophisticated so they used mechanical means of limiting motor travel. If you take a look at the pics that ACCORD EX posted of his motor, you will see that it is a rather simple assembly. The ratcheting mechanism is inside the main body of the plastic housing.

My $.02 for now.

The RUS.:pimp:

88' Accord Ltd
12-06-2002, 02:39 PM
Well that really good to know thanks '89AccordLX cept i had all the power stuff in my gold car in my sig....the one thats now written off. Oh well. Thanks though.

ACCORD EX
12-07-2002, 01:57 PM
RUS > the antenna god ! :D :super:

i think the motor is not so difficult to fix but so difficult to get it out !

MIKE

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-07-2002, 02:54 PM
Bow before the :bow: ANTENNA GOD:bow::cool:

I have now been officially proclaimed GOD by the moderator! Thanks ACCORD EX. Now where does the antenna god rank amongst all the other gods? :tongue:

BTW, I had to rip it all apart again today so I could free up my radio cable. Grrrrr:mad:. I did however manage to finish it in less than an hour.

Janiel
12-10-2002, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the the help guys. By the way I looked at my antenna and it is kinked were can i find a new antenna or can I just fix mine?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-10-2002, 02:41 PM
Ok,
about those kinked antennas.....They can be fixed if the antenna is kinked on its lower mast section in the fully extended postion close to the base. If all of these factors come together then it is possible for you to take the antenna out of the car and dissasemble the thing completely. This would allow you to remove mast sections separately. Then you can cut off the kinked part of the section and use the plastic damper ring (that was initially installed on the antenna mast in front of the copper/bronze ring) as a stopper. (If you get the antenna dissasembled you will see how it all works). I did this for my kinked antenna and glued the plastic ring on to the mast. Works great right now. It shortnes your antenna slightly but I didn't notice any reception problems. Of course you can just buy a replacement antenna from a Honda dealer or online. Look in the other thread about antenna problems. I posted a site where I found a replacement. Costs about 80 bicks though.

Hope this helps. :tongue:

Janiel
12-11-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks Rus. I'am going to take it out tommrow and I'll let you know what happens then. Oh yea its kinked right at the base so it shouldn't be shorten much.

Janiel
12-18-2002, 06:08 AM
Ok i took the motor out (I had to drop the fuse box) And it was a pain. Now i went to take the antenna and the wire is stuck in dash :crying: . How do i pull the antenna out? It really blows cuz my motor is brand new and i really don't want to go to my last option of taking it out and puting a manual antenna in. Please help.

ACCORD EX
12-18-2002, 09:24 AM
do you mean to get the drive cable out of the motor ?

if so just pull it hard after removing the clip around the motor neck !

MIKE

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-18-2002, 01:46 PM
Well, you got over the hardest part of getting to the motor and removing it. Now are you saying that the radio cable is stuck in the dash? Or is it the dirve cable that is stuck in the pillar?

Removing radio cable from dash:

First remove your stereo and disconnect the radio cable from it. Next, you will need to pull the cable out of the dash completely. Honda originally routed it in a pretty weird fashion. This may cause the cable to get stuck as you pull it out. The only place where mine got hung up was at the top of the dash right under the gauge cluster. I had to remove the cluster hood, and then take out the screws that hold down the gauge cluster, and finally disconnect the speedo cable.(Very easy, it is attached by a clip link. Just disconnect it and don't mess with anything else around it.) Then I gently lifted the gauge cluster and found that my radio cable got stuck just above the steering column. After getting the cable out I reinstalled everything and put the hood back on. When I reinstalled the radio cable I routed it on the bottom of the dash so I don't have to take everything appart again.

Removing the drive cable:

OK, if it is your drive cable that got stuck, (I am assuming you tied some type of lines/ropes to the cables before pulling through [both radio cable and drive cable]. If the cable gets stuck in the pillar, pull it back in with the lines and retry. Twist it around from the top if it still gets stuck and try again. Now if there are no lines attached to the cables, we are in for some fun. Basically you will have to push and pull and twist the cable/antenna assmebly to get the whole thing out.

Explain in a little bit more detail which cable is stuck, and where. Glad you are undertaking this little project. :tongue:

By the way, the cables for the antenna come out from a whole under the dash in the side of the body. Just look for a hole about the size of your palm. Two cable, one thin, one thick.

Hope this helps.

Janiel
12-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Thanx Rus. I'am doing alot of things at the same time so it helps to not spend the whole day on one wire. It's just hard to get things done when you have to work and go to school. I am puting a new motor in my car this weekend and I have fixed so many of those anyoning little things like the switch on my driver side door that was not working and wouldn't let the inteior lights come on (couldn't see anything at night), I had no city lights or instrument lights, Passenger side window took a year to go up, inteior looked black (which is really ivory), RH light motor gears were striped, and still more! It has become a project but i love this car and i got it for $350 that helps too!:D Oh yea its the antenna wire that goes to the radio thats stuck. Thanks Rus you have been good help. Let you know when i pull it out. If you need any help with anything (but antenna's) let me know.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-19-2002, 01:21 PM
Always glad to help out.

I see in your profile that you are into RC cars? Check mine. Tight hobby.

RC Cars owned:

DuraTraxx Maximum ST w/ Torq .16
Traxxas Nitro Rustler with Pro. 15 and Stinger Tuned pipe.

RC Planes owned:

Sig Kadet LT-40 w/ TT Pro.46
Sig Somethin' Extra w/ TT Pro.46
Great Planes PT-40 w/ TT Pro .46

What are you driving?

:D:)

Janiel
12-20-2002, 09:26 AM
Your into that kind of stuff too? Cool. I have a Nitro RS4 w/O.S. .12 TR And really fast, Nitro Rusler w/Pro .15

Thunder Tiger 40 Trainer,Concept 30 heli

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-20-2002, 11:42 AM
Always wanted a heli.....but they are so damn expensive!!! grrr. And it also takes a lot of time to learn to fly those. Check out our flying club:

Bayo City Flyers (http://www.bcflyers.com)

This isn't a hobby, this is an addiction. :D :bh:

:smokin:

How are you doing with your antenna removal?:tongue:

Janiel
01-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Whats up dude? Sorry I haven,t wrote back but I have been on vacation and haven't been able to get to a computer. Well I have bad news, I took the engine out of my car and put the hood on the roof of the car and didn't notice that I put it on the antenna.:burn: . I took the antenna motor and it looks good so i really want my antenna to work can i just buy a new antenna and how much will it be. I looked for one at the junk yard but they were all missing or broken.

ACCORD EX
01-07-2003, 11:42 AM
they were all missing

doesn't that tell you something ! :D

MIKE

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-07-2003, 02:14 PM
If you can't find a working antenna in the junk yard, you can purchase one. They run in the region of $85-100. Try contacting a local Honda dealer and see what they tell you. I found one on the net: Honda Accord antenna (http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp?Model=ACCORD&Year=1989&TrimLevel=4DR+LX&TransLevel=5MTKA&Section=E&Category=B++16++%7CRADIO+ANTENNA%2DSPEAKER&Doors=4&Emissions=KA&PartCatalogId=13SE00&IRefNo=018&PartNoSelected=39158-SE0-A11) it is about $90 for the entire assembly. Kinda pricey, but the dealer may want even more. I have seen them for $100 and more. Also try ebay, they might just be on there.

Hope you find an antenna :D.